• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick ZJ Tierod question

GinisKratos

NAXJA Forum User
I dont have the funds for both the tierod and the newer draglink.

I just want to be clear weather the new zj tierod bolt up to my 89s draglink? Or since mine didnt come with the newer draglink, Do i need to replace it as well to make this switch. The draglink will get replaced shortly, but I want to hit the trails tomorrow, not week after next. So let me know =) Thanks!!

Ed

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the drag links are the same on the XJ and the ZJ at least they look the same sitting side by side. The ZJ tierod however is solid and a stouter piece, but it still bends. :)

The ZJ drag link will be an upgrade for the older XJ's (1984-1990) with the smaller tie rod end on the drag link (only 20mm). The newer XJ's (1991+) along with the ZJ's have the larger 22mm tie rod end.

As will I. I'm stockpiling parts now.

I got lucky, 18 bucks for it all at the local pick-a-part. Took alittle less then 15 min to pull it all off, things look brand new heh, well other then the threads i smashed with a glancing hit on a stubborn tierod heh... but still, 18 bucks total, vs $220 new. SWEET! heh If i need to ill jsut run back to the yard and find another ZJ and pull another drivers side end. I'm hoping I can just clean up the threads and be good. We'll see :eeks1:

Just carry your stock tie rod as a spare. I was on the trails with someone who pretzeled up one of those supposedly heavy duty V8 ZJ tie rods this weekend, with no spare to swap in and get out of the woods. Did I mention that it was pouring down rain, and noone (with 90% of the group running the ZJ set up) had a spare tie rod.

I was finally able to find someone with a spare and we got him out, but we were all soaked to the bone. Not fun...

So throw your stock one in as a spare just in case...

A.

Back