• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5 Rebuild

drew_man_chu

NAXJA Forum User
Well, with the rear main, distributer, & valve covers leaking oil, and the massive blow by due to the piston rings, I am starting to plan out my rebuild. It won't be my first engine rebuild (2.8L on 84 S10, 2.8L on 85 Ranger, & 2.4L on 92 Mighty Max), but I am seriously begging for more power. Is there a stoker kit or good cam kit that can help me produce more power with the internals?

I am kinda wondering this myself. There is a guy on here working on it. It may be cheaper for you to go with a low milage 4.0 swap, depending on your tranny and the year of your truck, if you are looking for more power. I think there is what is called a purple cam out there(forget the manufacturer) that is recommended for the 2.5.

I probably should have added some of that info, lol. I have an 88 Cherokee, AX5 trans, NP231 T-Case. Dana 35 rear, Dana 30 front. 4.11:1 gears. 3" Lift with 31" tires.

The only reason I want more power for is because the Jeep seems to take off too slow, and seems like it doesn't like to go much more than 45, and the speed limit from my house to the shop I work in is 55 the whole way.

4.0 swap, there is one going on in the SE chapter right now, on an 88 MJ I believe. if you look around junkyards in FL you may be able to find a good 4.0ax15 combo. where are you in FL?

North of Tampa, south of Horse Hole Creek. Kinda halfway between both. There is a U-Pull about 45 mins away, which I've found tons of stuff for my Might Max there. Never noticed how many Jeeps were there. Did find tons of Dodge vans and chevy cars though.

Check out Clifford Performance. I don't think they have their cams on their website anymore but they still make them. They make the best headers for the 2.5L. Also could go with roller rockers from Yella Terra. Check out Hesco they have stuff for the 2.5L but don't have it all on the web site.

I have a '86 2.5L on 33's. The AX-5 took a dump on me so I swapped in an AX-15. My write up is here http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=956031. I recommend doing this if you can swing it because the AX-5 is crap. Username "Old_Man" built a performance 2.5L so you could try and pick his brain. I like the 2.5L in my XJ just because its a little different and I am too lazy to mess with a swap since the 2.5L works fine.

Thanks for the info tgoff. Although I love doing engine swaps, my Jeep is a DD, so I can't afford to have it down for too long. I have two MG B's that I am currently putting together, and once I get one of them running, the Jeep will get it's overhaul.

Although I loved the 4.0 in my XJ Sport, I want to see what I can do for the 2.5 until I decide how much further I will go with the current XJ.

Back