• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93' AW4 in 99' XJ

XJRubicon

NAXJA Forum User
Got everything swapped over, went to bolt on the torque converter sensor and went "aw @#$@!."

How bad do I need that? The rig will be 5 speed soon anyways...

What will running without it do? Disable lockup?
only need the tranny to make a trip as we are moving.

I don't want it locking up towing anyways.

XJR

Torque convertor sensor? Do you mean the CPS on the bellhousing?

No, Right behind the bell housing on the lower drivers side, its a sensor to pick up the input speed of the transmittion I believe. For detecting lockup. Lockup sensor?

Guess it was new in 98' or 99'.

XJR

Last edited:
I guess I will just have to put the damn thing in and find out for myself...

XJR

You really do want lockup while towing, or you'll fry that poor trans ;)

Lockup and tow in third if you have to. If it wont lock up, wire up a toggle to lock it up temporarily.

You really do want lockup while towing, or you'll fry that poor trans ;)

Lockup and tow in third if you have to. If it wont lock up, wire up a toggle to lock it up temporarily.

I have a motorhome cooler, not worried about heat.... if it dies when I get there... sweet.

What wires for lockup?

Think I may just drill the hole out.
Shavings? thats what pickup tubes are for!

XJR

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Transmission_and_Transfer_Case/TransmissionController.htm

I'm not positive a cooler would be good enough. When its slipping, it generates a LOT more heat than designed for. Yeah, no worries it if dies after the trip, I was more worried about during. :)

The aw4 is a rock solid transmission, unless its run overheated.

Think we are going to go drill it out man.... 1000 miles is a long ways.

The AW4 is a Rock Solid tranny, but I still hate them. Been in a situation more then once where I was cursing having it instead of a manual tranny.

This is just a new flavor.

The tranny died because its junk. Made for street use. My rigs and my womans rig need to work on more then just paved roads. It never did what I wanted it to and even went into reverse on the highway @55 mph killing the motor 3 times. An auto tranny should not go into reverse with out the valve body in reverse.

XJR

Apparently, there is a tone ring on the forward planetary.

Had to pull the pump and swap that over as well.

So, swapping the 93' into a 99' can be done, but there are a few differences:

* Hole must be drilled for the front sensor.

*Forward planetary from 99' because of tone ring. (Have to take pump off to drill anyways)

*Solenoids are a different type and needed to be used off the 99' to accommodate the 99' wiring harness

*Rear output sensor and rotor need to be replaced with 99' (2 vs 4)

After all that, I think its ready for the trip.

Let you know if it actually works when it stops raining.

XJR

Well after a week of bulls@#$, We got it going!

Everything worked out and no SES light!

Wooooo Its like a birthday present!!:party:

XJR

Back