• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stealership gave me the wrong ones!!!

shotgun1976

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 4.0l HO and just picked up the new oil filter adapter o rings from the stealership and once I got it all apart guess how pissed I was. In the attached picture the ones that came off my Jeep are the ones on the left, the ones on the right are the "new" ones. They assure me they are the correct ones, but.... Any one have a good part number I can use to get the REAL correct ones. Mine also has a regular bolt head not the torx tip, and the o rings are flat on all four sides where the new ones are round. Only one o ring goes on the bolt, the other two go on the adapter itself, unlike the torx setup.

DSCN5979.jpg

DSCN5980.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like you've got the Renix through bolt-- I don't have the part number, but ask 'em if they've got the o-rings for an '88 and compare them to yours. I had the exact opposite problem-- I bought for an '88, but was given the newer ones.

Yes they were all in one bag. The part number is 1-04720363, and of course it is made in Mexico.

Just one other question, do you have a picture of the oil filter adapter, the part where the threads for the filter are?

From what I can remember, he gave you the right parts. you might have a different adapter, or bolt. If it were 90 or older I think the seals come seperately.

Justin

Just one other question, do you have a picture of the oil filter adapter, the part where the threads for the filter are?

From what I can remember, he gave you the right parts. you might have a different adapter, or bolt. If it were 90 or older I think the seals come seperately.

Justin

Here is the pic. Is it possible that the motor was assembled with parts from an adapter from a non HO? Kind of like using up left over stock?

DSCN5984.jpg

that is not an HO adapter, that is a renix (87-90). you need to get the renix adapter o-rings. I don't know why you have that housing on your jeep.

Did you buy this jeep used?

that is not an HO adapter, that is a renix (87-90). you need to get the renix adapter o-rings. I don't know why you have that housing on your jeep.

Did you buy this jeep used?

Leftover parts? Two years is a bit much - I'd expect to 1991.5, maybe 1991.75, but they should have run out of RENIX screws for that before 1991 was out.

It's also possible that the elbow is HO, but the screw is RENIX. Which filter are you using? IIRC, the cans are the same size, but the RENIX uses an ISO thread (M20x1.5?) and the HO uses an SAE thread (3/4"-11 or so.) I'm not sure about the SAE size, but I know the cutoff is there. We can run the filter number on there and figure out which variant you have.

IIRC, the cans are the same size, but the RENIX uses an ISO thread (M20x1.5?) and the HO uses an SAE thread (3/4"-11 or so.) I'm not sure about the SAE size, but I know the cutoff is there. We can run the filter number on there and figure out which variant you have.
Renix is M20x1.50

HO is 3/4-16

If they can't get the RENIX o-rings, see if they can get the HO adapter. That opens you up to a wider selection of filters anyway, including 1-qt versions. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/filter.html

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Look on the drivers side of the block, just above the oil pan and behind the motor mount. See if you see a threaded hole there. If so, that's for the knock sensor from a Renix engine. Maybe the block was replaced by a PO.

The ring are flat from wearing out. They were round in cross section when new.

Look on the drivers side of the block, just above the oil pan and behind the motor mount. See if you see a threaded hole there. If so, that's for the knock sensor from a Renix engine. Maybe the block was replaced by a PO.

The ring are flat from wearing out. They were round in cross section when new.

Here is a pic of the threaded hole. Looks like I have a Renix. Where might an ID plate be located so I can figure out what year the motor is? I guess the stealership didn't do me wrong after all. :D

DSCN5985.jpg

Hmm i'm going to have to go check my 92 now, I've got the same hex head bolt for the adapter that he's got but haven't looked for the threaded hole before. The adapter on mine is the HO style and thankfully no leaks yet (knock on wood). I thought the biggest difference between the Renix and HO was the head was different but the block was the same aside from all the other little stuff.

This is the Renix set...looks like you got the 93 or 94+ set...
OilfilteradapterO-Rings-1.jpg

my 1991 HO, looked like that. and the same oil filter adapter fit on all the blocks that have lived in that truck.

the fun part when I was building the first motor was when my dad took the adapter in hand out to the parts shop to find me some o-rings and the guy behind the counter INSISTED that he was holding an oil pump for an 87 Chrysler Lebaron. Nothing my dad could say or do could convince he guy that it was not an oil pump.

we made some o-rings. I forget from where but he just bought a few feet of o-ring stock and we made them. It was easeier than this hassel

EDIT: IIRC my 1992 cherokee had that adapter as well

the "renix set" actually fits through '92, there's a production split in very late '92 models where they started using the 363 o-ring kit. sounds like the parts guy guessed wrong...and yes, they start life round.

Hmm i'm going to have to go check my 92 now, I've got the same hex head bolt for the adapter that he's got but haven't looked for the threaded hole before. The adapter on mine is the HO style and thankfully no leaks yet (knock on wood). I thought the biggest difference between the Renix and HO was the head was different but the block was the same aside from all the other little stuff.

As far as I know the blocks did change a bit later on with the addition of the cradle over the main caps. The early HO's still had the boss for the knock sensor but they skipped the machining of it. Hopefully someone with an early HO can report back.

Back