• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will removing cat result in erroneous signals to O2-sensor?

NXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Improved flow -> lower exhaust temps -> O2 sensor fuel compensation -> lower gas mileage?

A workshop owner told me this.

Last edited:
Improved flow -> lower exhaust temps -> O2 sensor fuel compensation -> higher gas mileage?

A workshop owner told me this.

depends on what year you have. my 89 only has 1 o2 sensor and its on the exhaust manifold, well before the cat.

Nope. No cats does absolutely nothing to the sensors. If you have a front and a rear, no cats will cause a check engine light and a low catalyst efficiency code, but it will still run the same. May smell rich as the cat isn't burning off the excess hydrocarbons, but everything else will be like before.

Why? It's not impeding anything, and if you think you're going to get that magic 1 extra horsepower that's going to turn your Jeep into a racecar, I'd advise laying off the paintchips.

Stupid shit like "I pulled one over on 'The Man' by hollowing out my cat" doesn't do ANYTHING to help our cause in keeping access to the roads and trails. That's a FINE example you're providing to those who want to close off the National Forests and public roads to four-wheel drive use. Because of examples and lemmings like this, it undermines our argument that Jeepers and other four-wheelers are environmentally responsible.

Yes, I said "public roads" because 'round these parts, most of the "trails" we enjoy are actually roads that have existed a hundred years or more. So we're really not "going off-road" as much as making use of existing rights-of-way.

Do your bit to keep your tailpipe emissions lower.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Why? It's not impeding anything, and if you think you're going to get that magic 1 extra horsepower that's going to turn your Jeep into a racecar, I'd advise laying off the paintchips.

Stupid shit like "I pulled one over on 'The Man' by hollowing out my cat" doesn't do ANYTHING to help our cause in keeping access to the roads and trails. That's a FINE example you're providing to those who want to close off the National Forests and public roads to four-wheel drive use. Because of examples and lemmings like this, it undermines our argument that Jeepers and other four-wheelers are environmentally responsible.

Yes, I said "public roads" because 'round these parts, most of the "trails" we enjoy are actually roads that have existed a hundred years or more. So we're really not "going off-road" as much as making use of existing rights-of-way.

Do your bit to keep your tailpipe emissions lower.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Jim i didnt mean to come off as that guy that hollowed out my cat, there was a reasoning to mine and im getting mine replaced. my headers were glowing so i thought it was a bad cat, i hollowed it out and it wasnt, im getting a new one soon. i didnt do it cause it makes you faster, better MPG, more horse. mine was more of an trial and error thing. i tried and it was an error. didnt mean to come off as "THAT GUY" that wants better MPG by hollowing out his cat i also destroyed my after market cat, i wasnt so happy about that

XBoBJ - If I caught you in the net with the others who gut their cats, thinking they are gaining mega-horsepower then I apologize. Unfortunately, that's an attitude we see far too frequently on NAXJA, and it really is an attitude that only hurts the rest of us.

Jim

Back