• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time for the final decision... 86 or 90 XJ? Opinions?

VisualOddity

NAXJA Forum User
Ok... Looked at the 86 this morning and hopefully looking at the 90 at lunch... Here are the ups and downs of both. Opinions VERY much wanted and respected... :thumbsup:

86 XJ-
Ok, it's ugly, but the seat covers are/will be off, and the wheels are just hubcaps, so they can go right off the bat. It's got the GM V6 that I hear is crap, but the 4x4 works, and the A/C is cold. Drives ok, and the 4x4 seems solid, although when I first start going in 4L, it kicks like its shifting. Maybe it is, but I'm not sure it's supposed to like that in 4L. Actually, I'm actually pretty sure thats odd, but you guys can tell me for sure. Tagged and inspecter till 08/07. The tires are Dominators, which I don't know a lot about, but they look WAY better in person than they do in the pics. He wants $1600 if I bring my own tires and he keeps his, or $2300 if I keep the tires on it now (I would not go above $2000 with them)...
Pics:
kkk.jpg

lll.jpg

llll.jpg

mmm.jpg

90 XJ:
I'll drive it later, so this is by what I was told. I think it's all power, but not sure yet. I'm told it drives nice, and 4x4 works well. Has the 4.0HO I4, which I loved in the 91 XJ. Seems ok on the outside, minus a dent in the passenger fender. Don't know about tags yet. Not for a few issues, which I don't have a lot of cash to fix. Tires are ok, but basic street tires, so I would want something ok for basic trails. A little blowback, which I hear isn't a big deal, but I'd like input on if possible. A/C also needs a charge. He said it drives fine, but needs one injector. Expensive? Now for my personal biggest worry that would need to be fixed soon; the gas tank. He said the seal on the topish of the tank has worn off or something, so over 3/4 of a tank and it spills out a bit, or over 1/2 and on s decent incline, it does the same. He said it doesn't do it near the exhaust, which I guess is good, but makes me uncomfortable. How readily availible are these, or is there an easier fix? He is asking $1499 as it sits...
Pics:
An1ltqSxBpFyCRceEIUPhmV0jK1h.jpg

DBgG5aRv3DOQbzafR3u4ljtUqVll.jpg

HBV3ai7UVzfU4KMRPLCIebT8JVyp.jpg

My personal opinion, I like the 90 for a number of reasons (motor, body, year, options, ect), but the little things get me. I need a daily driver, and now. The 86 is ready to go and I can drive it as is. I guess the 90 is ready to drive as well, but the whole leaking gas tank gets me. I guess I am mainly concerned w/ what it will cost to fix the 90 and how quickly it can be done. If those are easy and not to expensive, and provided it drives well, ect, I want the 90. Otherwise, the 86 it is... This is all because I want the 4x4 so I don't have to do it later. There is a nice 94 2WD I could get for $2300 or a little less, which is all the cash I have, but it will need brakes. 114K on the clock, cold A/C, ect... I'm leaning for the 90 though. I little work isn't a big deal as long as I can afford it and get parts pretty fast (used but working ok)...

Thoughts?

i would go with the 90, thats what i have. a new tank complete is around 70-90, i think. as for tires, i have all season (not even all terrain) tires and they do fine on msot trails i have been on, so that isnt as much of an issue as the tank seal and injector

Go with the 90...

I first owned an 84, then an 89, then a 99 and another 89.

The 1990 for sure would be the best choice.

Randy

I don't think it's wise to buy a GM 2.8l equipped XJ. Also, the Dominator Radials were $60 (30"x9.5") last time I bought tires so figure $50-$75 new depending on size, etc. Theres NO WAY they add $700 to the value of the vehicle. The seller is obviously not reasonable plus those hubcaps look goofy.

The 90 doesn't look half bad if you don't mind putting a little time and $ into it. However, the 4.0 HO was not offered in the 1990 (and it also wasn't an I4). The earlier version of that motor was offered and the 4.0L high output appeared for the 1991 model year.

Back