• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

30th Anniversary Event?

Jump This

Just another minion!
If we are all still around by then, Bonnie and I will volunteer to cook the Friday night dinner again (if you will have us.)

We are already working on a tentative menu. Think gourmet Spanish cuisine.

Bonnie was so impressed and appreciative of the help we had in the kitchen (as was I) that she feels confident we can take it to the next level (and have enough food for EVERYONE) next time.

Rick & Bonnie

PS Now who were those that thaught we bit off more than we could chew for this event?

Why wait 5 years for another party, NAXJA is 10 years old in 09........... party1:

I'm there (as long as we don't have another badly timed kid!).

And I've already told Rainer he needs to come back out in 2013, and I need to make it too.

There was plenty of dinner. The underlying problem is this....I thing Grandma would refer to it as "Eyes bigger than your stomach" Syndrome.

Many plates were a heaping mound of food, loaded with several slices of ham and beef. The folks at the end of the line got scraps, further disappointing was the observation of early eaters dumping uneaten food into the garbage.

Lesson to be learned here? Food should be served school lunch style, and 2nds served up once everyone has eaten. A simple plan, that has historically be a suceess. Everyone gets to eat, everyone leaves full, food waste is minimal.
:thumbup:

There was plenty of dinner. The underlying problem is this....I thing Grandma would refer to it as "Eyes bigger than your stomach" Syndrome.

Many plates were a heaping mound of food, loaded with several slices of ham and beef. The folks at the end of the line got scraps, further disappointing was the observation of early eaters dumping uneaten food into the garbage.

Lesson to be learned here? Food should be served school lunch style, and 2nds served up once everyone has eaten. A simple plan, that has historically be a suceess. Everyone gets to eat, everyone leaves full, food waste is minimal.

x2....Amanda and I got beans and some bread...that's it...while the people sitting next to us threw a ton of food they didn't eat away

Have to agree with Jeff....
Next time... the portions of food should be regulated by servers....

When I saw the length of the line going around the room.... and the size of the helpings some people were walking away with.... I kind of wondered if some people might come up short....

Guess some people did have parents like mine.... You DIDNOT waste food !!

My brother and I were not allowed to leave the table until the plate was void of food...
Whatever was put on your plate.... YOU BETTER EAT !!!!

Both of my parents grew up during the depression....

If we are all still around by then, Bonnie and I will volunteer to cook the Friday night dinner again (if you will have us.)

We are already working on a tentative menu. Think gourmet Spanish cuisine.

Bonnie was so impressed and appreciative of the help we had in the kitchen (as was I) that she feels confident we can take it to the next level (and have enough food for EVERYONE) next time.

Rick & Bonnie

PS Now who were those that thaught we bit off more than we could chew for this event?

I'll be there in five years, you couldn't keep me away. I'll certainly make sure we remember your commitment to do the cooking again. :D

Very simply..........Moab is worth it!! Whatever it takes to get there.

I kind of took a "marine corps birthday ball" approach to the friday night dinner. Melissa and I had a quick sandwich at about 4 pm, just in case something went awry. The food at our ball every year is way insufficient in portions, it's usually what happens when you have to plan for so many people.

I was last in the line and didn't get any food and I observed very much the same thing. The line was moving so slow because people had to have everything on their plate.

Don't forget that Woody, Heather and Melissa sold a ton of dinner tickets to people who just showed up for the dinner and raffle and heard through word of mouth about the event. So Rick and Bonnie kind of got put on the hot seat to feed some extra folks that they didn't originally plan for.

All in all, it was great food and I think except for the pissed off guy screaming across the room at Richard, nobody was really too upset about it.

x2....Amanda and I got beans and some bread...that's it...while the people sitting next to us threw a ton of food they didn't eat away

That was your own fault. I sit and watched you two wait till everyone was in line before you.

I learned a long time ago it's always best to be in the front of the pack for meals like that.

Don't forget that Woody, Heather and Melissa sold a ton of dinner tickets to people who just showed up for the dinner and raffle and heard through word of mouth about the event. So Rick and Bonnie kind of got put on the hot seat to feed some extra folks that they didn't originally plan for.
We had the same issue 5 years ago: more folks showed up then it was planned for. It was quickly solved by a trip to the market for more food so that all could eat.

That was your own fault. I sit and watched you two wait till everyone was in line before you.

I learned a long time ago it's always best to be in the front of the pack for meals like that.
And what about the folks that got stuck coming back late from the trail due to breakage? Is it their fault??

In any case, I wasn't there (though believe me I wish I was there.... ) so all that I have heard is "hearsay" BUT here's the deal: If X number of tickets get sold then X number of people need to get fed. Jeff brought up a good point about portioning the food out. If that wasn't happening then it's bad. Lets learn a lesson from this and make sure that we don't make the same mistake twice.

C'mon folks, enough hijacking this thread with talk about food at the dinner. Let it go! This thread is about doing it again in 5 years, and who plans to make it. :)

I'm not upset about not getting any food...and neither was Amanda....we ate at Wendy's before coming to the event, because we knew of the possibility of not getting any food....so we were not starving during the raffle.

I was just emphasizing that there were a number of people who took way more than they ate, which contributed to the problem. If we are going to charge $10 for dinner, I just think we need to make sure everyone gets something for their money.....whether they are at the beginning or at the end of the line....

I think having dinner served is a good idea in the future.....of course, that will require more volunteers, too....

I'm in. Moab is just too damn much fun to miss. I missed the dinner again this time (same as 5 years ago) due to the need to get back home. Next time I'm sticking around.

All in all, it was great food and I think except for the pissed off guy screaming across the room at Richard, nobody was really too upset about it.

Just for the record (since I was that pissed off guy), I was not upset at Richard or Rick and Bonnie. They did a great job and had enough food. I wanted to make sure it was said loud enough so that all the assholes who piled there plates ten feet tall with meat would realize the error they had made. The food was great, and plenty of it....if some people would use a little self control. The last 20 people in line got NO meat because the 200 before them were greedy.

C'mon folks, enough hijacking this thread with talk about food at the dinner. Let it go! This thread is about doing it again in 5 years, and who plans to make it. :)

Then we should postpone this thread until about 10 days before the event, since that's when people were dropping like flies :rof:

Thoughts on this thread.

1. Those at the end of the line did not get enough food.
2. Those at the front of the line took to much.

Got it...understood...no one felt as bad about the situation as the folks in the kitchen.

Any further discussion is only !!!1

Last edited:
Back