• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another direction.?

Bronzewyrm

NAXJA Forum User
Im from the northwest where theres MUD MUD MUD, trails and snow, the rare rock hill climb or stump jump. for the most part im most worried about the Rutz. ppl roun here like to get D60s and 40s, really makes a mess of things.

If i get the 8.25 (even a 44xj or a ford 8.8 i can do) 4.10Ls d30 4.10 reserch and find a good selectable locker,axle splines ujoints,etc...
should i be fine with that setup leaving the locker off until most needed?
or will i have locker slip and breakadge as soon as i start uesing it?

im interested in the waggy 44 conversion but im not looking forward at testing my fab skills this winter.if i can go a feiw years on tthe above setup id be happy.Lifting trimming and bumpstoping im all good with.

So if i can get theese gears right ill be on the mountian soon. thx ppl
this site and the ppl on it are turning out to be wonderfull.
Greatfully smiling
Bronzewyrm

you should be fine with that combination on 33s
i have a friend running 36's on a 30 (with the super 30 kit) and a stock 8.8 and it is holding up great so far. we wheel lots of muddy rocks

It's not hard to find an 8.8 with a LSD, this should save you time and money and give decent traction. Combo that with a front locker, selectable if that's what you want, and you will have a very capable jeep.

Is this going to be a DD?

You'll want deeper gears than 4.10's if you plan on 33's, especially in the mountains.

You should be looking at 4.56 or 4.88's.

if it was going to b on the trails more than the road i would agree.
I built a ranger 4.10 5sp and a 2.9 it did great with the 33's the 2.9 was just a pos. i think ill b ok with 4.10
In that case, I'd recommend 4.56 with those 33s.

It's not a random number, but one that has been !!!1 'round these parts for years.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Not sure what kind of rear end you're running now, but if you're planning on adding a locker and are already worried about breakage I'd probably avoid the Dana 35. If you're just replacing an existing 30 & 35 I guess this sounds like a pretty good way to do a cheap gearing swap.

yeah this is a good point. i have other things to do befor the thing is ready for a locker anyway. i think i am going throught the motor soon and that takes prioraty.
if i do do the locker i will go to a 8.25 more than likly ill build a 8.8 to replace the rear and run the front as long as i can.

Back