• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric fan ?????

t-frady

NAXJA Forum User
my electric fan is currently hooked up to a switch and i was wondering how exactly you hook it back up to the thermostat (i think that is where it hooks up at) dont it???? when i got the jeep the wiring was all messed up so Pics or good explanation would be great Thanks, sorry for being dumb havent really been in to the automotive thing too long I have older parents that havent had time to help me learn things on cars so im trying to teach myself, go to school and work full time Thanks again Travis

If your wireing harness is pretty hacked up the best thing to do is get a haynes manual to check out the electrical schematic. Itll save you time on lots of other things as well.
To determine what the symbols on the schematic mean, just google electrical
schematic symbols
Vehicle electronics can be a pain in the rear sometimes. SOMEONE hooked it to a switch for some reason, either the temp sensor was bad or soemone wanted to run it manually for some reason.

Oh yeah, what year is it, engine size, what not.http://www.naxja.org/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=244086145

Last edited:
sorry its an 89 I6

2x on a Haynes or Chiltons. I have one of each. Not as good as a fsm, but a lot better than nothing & they both have good electrical info. You can trouble shoot everything in your Renix with a dmm & a Chiltons/Haynes, no need for a code reader.

okay ill have to look a lil harder in the Haynes then hope its just a broken wire somewhere BTW the ac was hooked to a switch too all i had to do to fix that was fix a broken wire hope its that easy

The e-fan on the '89 is activated by a thermal switch that's located on the driver side of the radiator. It has a relay that is on the same side of inner fender well.

There are a couple of reasons why someone would hook up a switch instead of letting it do it's own thing.

1.) They converted to an open cooling system with a post '91 radiator that doesn't have a bung for the temp switch that exists on the '90 and earlier (RENIX) years and couldn't figure out how to get the fan to go on automatically (that'd be my excuse). If you have a radiator with a cap instead of a pressure bottle, that's an open system.

2.) Their fan relay wasn't working right so they just wired in a switch to cool when hot.

3.) They wanted control over when the fan went on or off and heard they could do it.

Personally I like having the switch over waiting for the fan to come on.

How to wire it back to the old way, I dunno

thanks ill have to go look at the thing Maz was talking about tomorrow its raining now and the link looks good but dont have time to read it now neither i have to go do something but ill look at it and post back up thanks guys

.....Is there any way of knowing if its a newer radiator should there be a date on it somewhere??

89 XJ has a coolant recovery bottle near the right firewall, that's where you add coolant to the system. If it was converted to an open system, it would have a radiator cap (on the radiator, of course) and a different coolant recovery system, maybe located in the same area as the old one, but with less hoses running to it. Hope this helps.

yea it does have the reservoir on the passenger side near the firewall and it only seems to overheat when i drive it not when it idles still trying to figure it out but thanks for the help though

Back