• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for info about Craig Stumph and his buggy......

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Richard? Anyone?

I googled the guy and there's plenty about his being the main guy behind UROC and his earlier Commando buggies, but nothing about his current rig. I wanted to show some folks that sick hydro adjustable suspension and was hoping to find some vid footage of it in action ( I guess JohnJohn will be posting Craig on that breakover rock on Helldorado soon.....) but I can't seem to find anything on what Craig's doing now and anything on that new rig. Does he have a website?

I am by no means the right person to answer this question, but from talking with him, this is not a "new" buggy. This is his original "commando" framed (or what is left of it) buggy that he has been useing for 10 years (or there about). He does hope to re-build it and clean up a few things at some point, but from what I saw it performed very well!! It was pretty obviouse that he knows it well and has plenty of "seat" time in it.

I really enjoyed talking with him and watching him drive it!!

Michael

Yes, the buggy is an evolution of his original commando, still has a piece of the original frame. The motor is a 300 hp turbo'd 4cyl Ecotec from Turnkey, auto trans and Atlas. Axles are Currie Rockjocks, with aluminum Currie knuckles and Longfield 300m CV front shafts, with a Detroit front and ARB rear. Suspension is 3 link front and rear with Fox 2" air shocks. The suspension hydraulic cylinders are attached to the upper shock mounts, which slide up and down on square tubes. So the rig is raised and lowered by the hydraulic cylinders changing the height of the upper shock mounts.

Craig competed consistently in Uroc before it changed it's venue to rock racing, which he tried a few times. He's really a budget competitor and builder, with a shop at his home in Delta, UT. Craig is an excellent driver, and he's absolutely fearless. I learn from him every time we go out.

Dave Cole who runs the Interco buggy in WeRock right now (FJ cruiser skins) runs air shocks with forced articulation rams inside the airshock shaft.

He calls it the Ez button...

he posts as "JeepRecoveryTeam" on Pirate, and his spotter Wayne Israelser posts as "ZukIzzy" - the hydro inside the air shock was his creation...

this is his rig -
RockKrawl08018-1.jpg

RockKrawl08038-1.jpg

search "charity rock crawl" on RME and you'll find a lot of video and pics.

I'm convinced craig's buggy is unstoppable

at least with what we do in utah
Pfff... Why did he keep getting denied on the waterfall at the end of Upper Proving Grounds then? :laugh3:

Craig wheels A LOT. He lives in a rural community very close to many very difficult trails (he opened many of the trails). As mentioned, this is the evolution of his Commando that he's had as long as I've known him (10 plus years). It's a well-built buggy with some neat tricks, but Craig wheels a lot, and has a ton of seat time in it. That's how he gets it to work so well.

Also, he founded UROC, was at the helm when it merged with ARCA, and left when the Patey's arrived on the scene. It was the next year that he started competing in the UROC series. For a year he was the captain of a team of competitors known as "Rock Stars", and he helped a lot of us get some great sponsorship deals. Unfortunately internal strife ended that, and we all went our seperate ways. Lately Craig's been organizing some low-level competitions at a man-made course just down the street from his house.

Back