• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

STARTER BOLTS???????????

Ertsride1

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have searched for starter bolt dimensions and came up with 2 things.

I have a 92 Cherokee with a 4.0L and automatic tranny.

1. I am totally confused by the previous threads.:shiver:

2. I found threads that have Jeep part #'s and replacement bolt sizes.

Jeep Parts Dept. states that the upper bolt is part # J4006192 which is a serviceable part and they can have it in 5 Buss days.

They also state the bottom bolt is part # 11502689 and it is non-serviceable.

The local Jeep dealer was not very helpful...they SUCK

There are threads that state that people have used 3/8x16x1 1/4(top) and M10x1.25x30(bottom). In that same thread they say that the bottom is Standard and the top is Metric:dunno:.

Just so that you are aware I did an advanced search for titles only and searched for STARTER BOLTS...should only pull up about 5 threads.

My ? is:
What size bolt is the top and what size is the bottom?

Thanks in advance for all info, I will be checking this periodically throughout the day. Garrett NAXJA

Last edited:
Why not go to the hardware store and get a 3/8X16X1 1/4 bolt and a M10X1.25X30 bolt and check to see if they work, probably only cost $2-$4.

If your going to use the hardware store bolts for service make sure they are at least Grade 8 (Standard) and Grade 10.8 (Metric).

What happened to the original bolts? If you still have them, you could take them and match up to some new ones. Just changed my starter solenoid('89 AW4), and the top bolt has a 15mm head while the bottom is 14mm. I didn't measure anything else on them tho. sorry I can't be more help.

I just put two new bolts in for my starter last night and they were both metric. I can double check this evening and tell you what size they were if you would like.

I have a '90 XJ 4.0L Manual trans, but I would think the bolt sizes would be the same.

3/8-16, one is 1.75" the other is just shy of 1.25", although i'm nearly positive you could use the long one in both holes :shhh: without trouble.

I just replaced my starter, '97 sport 4.0 - For the life of me I can't understand why they couldn't make the two bolts the same. One metric, one SAE, what were they thinking???

Mark

Yep - one's inch, one's metric.

I simplified things for myself, since I was always putting the wrong screw in the hole. I went and got a stick of M10 threaded rod, cut a short stud, and that goes in the threaded hole on the starter motor. If I have to dismount the starter, I take off one screw and one nut - no confusion.

In the unlikely event I have to get my starter motor rebuilt again, Rod immediately knows which one is mine. Problem solved.

You can use a 3/8" stud in the bellhousing just as easily, but I find that the stud in the starter nose worked well for me - and I do have access to M10 threaded rod fairly easily.

Back