• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ knuckle swap on a RHD

gorman

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody done a WJ knuckle conversion on a RHD XJ (or TJ for that matter)? I'd like to see where the raised trackbar bracket on the axle side sits. On a RHD this is on the pumpkin side so there is a little less space to work with and possible clearance issues to consider with the trackbar vs. pumpkin. I was wondering whether I'll get away with a straight trackbar or whether I'll have to have it bend to curve over the pumpkin.

Re: WJ knuckle swop on a RHD

Yes, I have done the swap on mine. I'll try and find some pictures or take some and post them up.

I have trackbar brackets and kit from Clayton for both the axle and the body ends, johnny joints either end and a straight bar. If you order from Clayton ask for the axle-end bracket that has multiple holes so that you can adjust the angles and ensure clearance over the pumpkin.

Hi English XJ, I'd love to see pictures of your setup. Did you flip the tie rod ends on your knuckles or do they still mount from the bottom?

Flip Inserts used, see picture below. Since this picture I have fitted the axle-end bracket with multiple holes.

DSC_0074-1.jpg

Thanks for the pic - it seems you've also used all WJ TREs. What was the reason for using the axle end mount with the multiple holes - did you want to adjust the trackbar from the angles as shown in the picture? They look quite parallel to each other, but I guess if you take the kink in the upper draglink end into account there might be small difference - was this the reason? Also, how do you find that setup compared to the OE Jeep steering in terms of general feedback and bump steer?

All WJ ends. Used the multiple hole bracket to adjust angles a bit and it helps to clear the pumpkin being one notch higher.

I never had stock steering with this lift so can't compare like with like. It steers well, feels just as good as stock with 3" lift. I have since added a steering stabiliser but it was okay without, i think any looseness was coming from my steering box.

The brakes are an improvement too.

Please send me your as-is pics when you get the opportunity. I was planning to mount my steering stabiliser on the right hand side of the vehicle on top of the tie rod.

In terms of the improved braking - don't you find that the braking is a little biased towards the front now? With my stock brakes at the moment I can't say much for the rear drums, although I'm sure they do work okay.

I'm careful to make sure the rear drums are adjusted properly and the system is well bled through. The improved braking is only really apparent under heavy braking and I don't need to do that very often - it's just nice to know it will brake hard if needed.

The steering stabiliser is mounted onto the tie rod with a u-bolt style clamp and the other end mounts to the axle tube with a bracket I welded on next to the right hand side coil cup / bracket. I'll try and get a picture later.

Hi English XJ, I am now in the midst of fitting my WJ knuckles and fabricating the axle mount trackbar bracket. If you can find the pic of the Clayton trackbar bracket you have in your current setup I would really appreciate it. Just for me to confirm that I'm on the right track. As soon as a couple of pics I took have downloaded to my PC I'll post what I have currently, but I'd like to see some other examples on a RHD axle before I weld it in.

Here's what I have so far:

24122008230.jpg

24122008231.jpg

24122008233.jpg

24122008235.jpg

Here's what I envision the angles to look like when everything is bolted in - how does this look? Is it necessary that one use an angle finder on the draglink and match the trackbar angle to it or does one just eye it?

23122008227.jpg

23122008228.jpg

23122008229.jpg

Background:
I've previously upgraded the rear diff on my Jeep and changed the ratios to 4.56 to match the bigger tyres I have on (see http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=17553[/URL]). However, up to now I've been driving with the old front diff which had the original 3.55 ratios and thus I wasn't able to select 4x4 mode. This was the story for the whole of 2008 and also the reason why my Jeep hasn't seen any trails in a very long time!
I'm glad to say that at last I'm in a position to go on a 4x4 trip again...nearly.
As per the thread linked above I was (am) in the process of building a front diff with a Gearmax centre section, but I was looking for a quicker medium term solution to get my Jeep going, but I also didn't want to spend anything on my original front diff as there were better options available. I got a high pinion (HP) Dana 30 front diff out of a 1996 Cherokee.

Here's a pic of the WJ knuckles and the spacers which needed to be welded on to centre the u-joints in the knuckles:
attachment.php

attachment.php

The adjustable lower control arms...
attachment.php

...and here's the trackbar bracket completed:
attachment.php

attachment.php

I also had to make a mounting point on the right hand side of the axle for the steering damper and the swaybar mounts were raised to make room for the draglink and tie rod that now sits higher.

This is the before and after pics of the steering setup:
Before:
attachment.php

After:
attachment.php

Here's one comparing the angles as the draglink end on the pitman arm makes the angle look slightly different:
attachment.php

Initial feeback on the setup is that at 6" lift driving without the steering damper, there is less wobbles of bumpsteer than before and the brakes even without the new pads having bedded in has a lot more initial bite for the same pedal pressure as before. I'm very happy :)

It all looks pretty good to me, well done.

Your track bar mount looks sturdy enough, as long as all the welds are good (deep penetration) it should be fine. I had to re-fit mine as the first welds struggled to penetrate the axle tube deeply and I got cracks. It is subject to a lot of force and there is a lever pressure woking on it from the raised mounting point.

I'm still struggling a little to get a perfect mount for my disconnect on that side - I'll have to raise it up higher to get the right angle and avoid the draglink movement. Let me know if you get a good mount built, I might have to copy it.

Hi English, not sure what you bracket looks like, but my swaybar mount on that side is the stock bracket which is cut shorter and welded to the triangle support.
It's difficult to see it in the picture, but here it is zoomed in a little from a higher resolution photo I have:
swaybarmount.jpg

Do you have steering damper fitted? I didn't see one in the previous picture you posted. I've removed mine since I've taken the pics as it interferes with the draglink. I'm going to remount it with the little mounting post hanging to the inside of the tierod and hope that it clears the trackbar when flexing.

I have a steering stabiliser on mine, it's shown on the picture below - sorry about the poor quality, someone else took the pic.

PB160401a.jpg

My disconnect mount is similar to yours but leaning the disconnect slightly outwards rather than inwards. Getting it perfectly straight seems tricky (and probably unnecessary!) given where the coil is, the movement of the draglink and the strength it needs so not to bend.

What steering links and tie-rod ends did you use?

Ahh, I see you steering damper is in the same place as mine, just below the tie rod.

Regarding the swaybar link sitting at an angle. In the original position it was at an angle slightly towards the outside, so I figured, leaning it to the other side won't make a difference. The angle is now a little steeper because the link is shorter, but I'm not worried as the JKS Quicker disconnect has spherical bushings.

The steering and tie rod link I used are all WJ parts - I used the Moog brand which I ordered from Rockauto.com.

re: WJ TREs I noticed yours had grease fittings whereas the ones I bought don't (Crown). I'll order some Moog ones because I like to be able to grease them, especially given all the wet, muddy offroad conditions we have over here.

You're right about the disconnect mount, I don't think it really makes much difference and the Jeep feels good on the road. I just get particular about little things like this from time to time!

Back