• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle thaughts plz.?

Bronzewyrm

NAXJA Forum User
I just baught a 92. it has the 5 sp and a part time t-case 4L HO.
i have a set of 33/12.5/15 rvt's that are going on her. i know i need to clear thees and i plan to lock the diffs. i have 3.07 nl and the pinion is tore up.

so...

My resherch has braught me to the D44 swap and looks like best to find a wagoneer with the gears i want and go from there. am i correct in thinking. should i go explorer rearend or 8.8 dodge? Any Front end sugestions??? i cant find much info an that.

also i have 3" lift. it is a rancho with the adjustable shocks and add-a leaf in the back. sugestions for heith from here for minimal $ and no fender cuttin.

any help would be great. i have axcess to a yard with 2500 cars in it so....Ive had 2 of theese and this is guna be a fun one.
Thx
BronzeWyrm

Welcome to the site, lots of good info here. There are lots of guys who can answer these types of questions, and there are many threads about this already. The search button will be your friend, especially once you learn to use the advanced search feature to it's potential. There is a guide to searching at the top of the page, check that out too.

To answer your question, a D44 from a waggy is a good choice, but they aren't always easy to find, and people usually want a mint for them. I am doing an 8.8 from an explorer right now, because I decided it was the best for me. If you have any fab skills and access to the proper tools, IMO it is better than a D44 because the 8.8's are all over the place, often come with limited slip, discs, and can be found with 4.10's if you look hard enough.

Most people are going to find a D30 to be plenty strong for most wheeling, but they are far from bullet proof. You can put chromo axles in them to help, and trussing them will also help.

A lot of the guys on this site are going to tell you you need 4.56's for 33's, and I just don't think it's necessary to go that low. I have been driving my Jeep about a year with 3.07's and 32's, and it takes off okay, tows okay, and drives okay, I just can't use 5th gear, and have to shift to 3rd to pull a hill while towing. If you are building this for wheeling only, 4.56's would be great, but if it's a daily driver first, wheeler second like mine, 4.10's are easier to get (in a stock axle) and will work great.

Have fun!

Last edited:
2500 cars? full width and forget it

78-79 ford f-250 or 350, get yourself dana 60 front and rear.

or, 73-79 ford f150 you can get a dana 44 and a ford 9 inch

no reason to upgrade the turdy30, you'll end up getting the inchitis and want to be bigger.

33s will fit on a stock xj if you cut enough. 4.5 in lift and 33s is really nice.

The waggy 44 may not be a good choice because it will take some fab skill to make it fit your xj, its also a different lug pattern. If you have the skills front and rear 44s from a waggy would be a good upgrade.

My suggestion would be to find a d44 or 8.25 from a XJ and bolt them right in. Only having 33s you wont have issues unless you get stupid. Spend the time and money you will be saving and get a good lift, skid plates, bumpers, lockers, gears, etc...
Idealy youd find a XJ 44 or a 29 spline 8.25 and a newer model xjs d30 w/ 297 u joints if you dont already have them
60s are over kill and ud drag your diff on every little rock, but you could turn them over for a nice profit.
d44/9" combo would be good if you have the time and fab skills, but still a little over kill for 33s.

well if i can stay with a bolt on axle that would be great but if i have to fabb i should b ok just more labor in the rig.

the d30 in the front is a pos am i right. that is what im woried about. i am going to lock it with the 12.5 wide tire and dont want to blow anything. thats y im looking at the waggy d44's and like i says my rear end pinion is needing replaced so i got to do the rear anyway.

im guna stay with a 4.10. i built a ranger with theese tires and the 410s did fine. the 2.9 was the problem and i had open difs so i dident break anything.

also will a 4.5 clear 33 12.5 ill need a small backspace i imagin.

thx for the help guies.
BronzeWyrm

Another option is a mopar 8 3/4 from a cuda or challenger. They are a pretty strong diff., have the same bolt pattern and there are a lot of after market parts available.

Welcome to the site, lots of good info here. There are lots of guys who can answer these types of questions, and there are many threads about this already. The search button will be your friend, especially once you learn to use the advanced search feature to it's potential. There is a guide to searching at the top of the page, check that out too.

To answer your question, a D44 from a waggy is a good choice, but they aren't always easy to find, and people usually want a mint for them. I am doing an 8.8 from an explorer right now, because I decided it was the best for me. If you have any fab skills and access to the proper tools, IMO it is better than a D44 because the 8.8's are all over the place, often come with limited slip, discs, and can be found with 4.10's if you look hard enough.

Most people are going to find a D30 to be plenty strong for most wheeling, but they are far from bullet proof. You can put chromo axles in them to help, and trussing them will also help.

A lot of the guys on this site are going to tell you you need 4.56's for 33's, and I just don't think it's necessary to go that low. I have been driving my Jeep about a year with 3.07's and 32's, and it takes off okay, tows okay, and drives okay, I just can't use 5th gear, and have to shift to 3rd to pull a hill while towing. If you are building this for wheeling only, 4.56's would be great, but if it's a daily driver first, wheeler second like mine, 4.10's are easier to get (in a stock axle) and will work great.

Have fun!

I agree. However, I have 4.88's. If I am not wheeling, I am doing mostly local driving. I have plenty of power starting off and passing. It whines once I get up to 60ish. But, for local driving, it's a blast.

BOB

Back