• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a question on leaf packs....load capacity and flexability!

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
So. I just purchased new coils from rubicon express today. They are the 5.5 in lift coils. I have a 3.5 inch pack in the rear and a 2in extended shackle to add up to 5 inchs of lift due to saging.In the front i have tomken 4 in coils with a spacer to add up to 5 inchs of lift.

Im planning on buying a new spring pack because I have an add-a-leaf and its sagging. I am not sure on what pack to use though.
Im not sure if i should get the 4.5 inch packs or the 3.5 inch packs.
ive heard a few members on here talk about how the 3.5 flexs better with an extended shackle then the 4.5 does. im going to make a shackle reloaction bracket and weld that up, and that will add some lift. Also, im interested in a 8.8 swap, which ive been told also adds more lift. But, the 8.8 will be more likley to happen sooner as to the relocation bracket happening later.

I do tow alot in the summer due to the fact that I have a few boats and love to fish and wakeboard, and i do carry a lot!!!! of gear when i go camping in the sierras.
All of this needs to be taken into consideration I believe.

Thank you in advance!

------Chris

edit: im concerned with the level-ness of my jeep. i dont mind the pre runner look, but i hate the stink-bug look.

Take a look at the bigoffroad 4" packs. I'm not a big fan of the RE springs. I've been thru 3 sets of them. You'll probably get 5-5.5 inches from the bigoffroad leafs.

okay...nevermind...im a broke college student who has to pay off school, and pay his way thru the fire acadmey. cant afford the bigoffroad leafs sorry.. =[ but im still interested in what people have to say about the Re leafs and what will do better

ive been searching and it seems like alot of people are using the 3.5 leafs over the 4.5. but then i also find people using the 4.5 over the 3.5s.

is there really that big of a difference in the packs besides the lift height?
Does anybody know the spring rates on both of these packs?
or how many leafs are in each pack.

I have the 4.5'' RE packs with a 1.5'' RE shackle and I have almost exactly 6.5'' of lift with nothing in the back.

Add some weight and it does sag down, but I dont know how much lower it sits, or how much weight is actually back there.

The ride is pretty crummy, but that is due to a vertical shackle angle and possibly blown RE white shocks. Might have something to do with the packs as well, but Im not sure. They do flex very nicely though.
P1010881.jpg

edit: That is loaded down for a week of wheeling. I dont have any good pics of ride height unloaded, but hopefully that helps a bit.

I have the 4.5'' RE packs with a 1.5'' RE shackle and I have almost exactly 6.5'' of lift with nothing in the back.

Add some weight and it does sag down, but I dont know how much lower it sits, or how much weight is actually back there.

The ride is pretty crummy, but that is due to a vertical shackle angle and possibly blown RE white shocks. Might have something to do with the packs as well, but Im not sure. They do flex very nicely though.
P1010881.jpg

edit: That is loaded down for a week of wheeling. I dont have any good pics of ride height unloaded, but hopefully that helps a bit.

so ive decided that im going to buy a set of shackle relocation brackets. i have a set of mj shackles, rc 2in lift shackles, and a set of stockers. i know the relocation brackets are adding some lift, but i drive my jeep everyday and id like to have a soft ride. so i guess i might get the 3.5??? i dont have a sye. so i cant go too high. u said the ride is crummy. how bad is crummy?

I'm getting a RE 4.5" lift kit here soon and most likely won't be using the shackles that come with it. I think they give a 1.25" lift, let me know if you want em.

Back