• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 2.5 stalling

oujeep2

NAXJA Forum User
Ok everybody here it goes, Ill give you what I got then I will tell you what its doing.
I have a 88 Jeep mj 2.5 with 4 speed & 4wd. This truck is TBI.
I have replaced fuel pump
Fuel filter x 4
EGR valve
Altnater
and it had a tune up a four months ago.
I have done the search and have been reading old post for about three hours but non of them had my 2.5. I guess I just need some advice from somebody who has/had one.

The truck starts up fine and runs but after I start driving it wants to stall and it fights to stay going. It does this hot or cold. When it stalls it will start right back up with out a problem. As im driving steady at 1500-2000 rpm I can feel misses and when I start driving slowly it wants to start bucking. I also notice a strange smell when it starts doing this but it doesnt smell like unburnt gas. It also likes to loses power like its not getting gas but then it will adventually catch up with it self or I just give it more gas. I notice when driving on the freeway it tends to run at its best. I guess this is the best way for me to describe this. Im getting tired of spending money and get crappy performace from my truck.

If I have to guess what the next part to check/buy I was thinking about the injector in the TBI. What do you guys think?

Bad O2 sensor or something with the MAP

X2 on the bad O2 sensor......disconnect it and run it to see if the problem goes away. If it does, replace sensor.

Jeff

Well guys, I checked the O2 and thats not it so Im guessing its the MAP. What is the best way to check this? any other ideas?

Check the line running to the MAP and make sure it is not cracked and check the line to make sure it is free of any blockages and air passes threw it freely. Also check the wiring to the MAP for corrosion and put some eletronics grease back on the connection.

Ok, I checked the MAP sencer and all was good. I cleaned up the ground cable and checked all vacume lines in detail and still no change. I did a poor man tune up and I was able to get the roughness out of engine but it still wants to stall. I noticed the smell of the exhaust was changing to more of a gass smell and the stalling gets worse as the engine worms up. Either way worm or cold it still fights to not to stall out. Im thinking either the coil. MAP, or the injector. What do you guys think?

Back