• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gears and Posi Help!!

Bville99gt

NAXJA Forum User
well i'm new to this forum I have a 2001 Red Cherokee XJ is currently lifted 6.5" and its sitting on 33" BFG Mud Terrain KM2's well i want to put some gears on the xj but don't know what size would be good to get...My xj currently has 3:55 and it has a dana 35 diff so what gears do i need...I don't understand that reverse cut stuff so that's why i'm asking since i'm afraid i'll mess it up...also any good spools diff's any help would be great...thanks

well i'm new to this forum I have a 2001 Red Cherokee XJ is currently lifted 6.5" and its sitting on 33" BFG Mud Terrain KM2's well i want to put some gears on the xj but don't know what size would be good to get...My xj currently has 3:55 and it has a dana 35 diff so what gears do i need...I don't understand that reverse cut stuff so that's why i'm asking since i'm afraid i'll mess it up...also any good spools diff's any help would be great...thanks

Get rid of the d35. Its not worth putting money into. A newer chryco 8.25 with 29 spline axles is a good bolt in or you could swap to a ford 8.8 out of an exploder. If you get lucky, there was also a d44 that came stock in xj's in 87. 4.56 should be a good gear choice. Reverse cut gears are for high pinion axles (like most front d30's). Yours is gonna be low pinion if its the stock one so standard cut gears should be what you need. The only drawback to the 8.25 rearend is the lack of selectable lockers available.

If you need any other info, try the search function and there's good axle and gear info in the FAQ section.

Last edited:
Ditch the dana 35 and get a chrysler 8.25, ford 8.8, or dana 44 and some 4.56s. The Dana 35 is a very weak axle and you shouldnt waste your money on it.

Reverse cut gears are used for high pinion dana 30's found in earlier xjs. If your 01 XJ has the orifinal front axle, it should have the low pinion so standard rotation gears are what's needed.

You have a large selection of possibilites for lockers. Automatic - detroit, aussie, powertrax. Selectable - OX, ARB. You can also get a limited slip from auburn, detroit, eaton or a stock unit it you keep it on the street mostly.

THanks for the advice guys...I"m planning to turbo the xj I already have megasquirt 3.0 and also have a 57 trim turbo...so what do you guys suggest?

ford 9", 31 spline or better.

If you don't want to go through that kind of work, 31 spline ford 8.8 from a disc brake explorer.

Ditch the dana 35 and get a chrysler 8.25, ford 8.8, or dana 44 and some 4.56s. The Dana 35 is a very weak axle and you shouldnt waste your money on it.

Reverse cut gears are used for high pinion dana 30's found in earlier xjs. If your 01 XJ has the orifinal front axle, it should have the low pinion so standard rotation gears are what's needed.

You have a large selection of possibilites for lockers. Automatic - detroit, aussie, powertrax. Selectable - OX, ARB. You can also get a limited slip from auburn, detroit, eaton or a stock unit it you keep it on the street mostly.

X2!!!!!!

It would be a good Idea to swap axles to something a bit heavier, but either way you'll need the internals, ring & pinion, locker, etc. The dana 35 is very light duty, but can be upgraded. There are thousands of people out there running similar setups as yours with upgraded dana 35's that hold up ok. However there are also thousands of people out there that have blown up there dana 35's built up or not. The explorer 8.8 is a pretty decent swap, since its pretty easy, parts are readily available, and you can pick them up in wrecking yards real inexpensively.

Back