• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 solenoid interchangability

bigalpha

How interchangable are solenoids in XJs? I've got a 95 and need to know which years are compatible in my AW4.

Also, are there solenoids from other trannys that will work?

If I were to pull solenoids out of a 1997 or 1993 that has an AW4, presumably, they should work. Right?

If I were to pull solenoids out of a 1997 or 1993 that has an AW4, presumably, they should work. Right?
I did a quick look on NAPA's website.
The 97 and 98 solenoids had a part #TSC562.
The 94 thru 96 had part #TCS563.

As to wherther or not they will be compatable I don't know.

You might give them a call to see what the difference might be as to the plug and solenoids themselves.

I have read on here somewheres that some are a different shape as to the solenoids....but the still work. Again I don't know the answer to that one.

Ah, I didn't even think to look up on NAPA or such :doh:

The two solenoids look different, they have different mounting brackets and the connectors look mildly different.

I suppose that answers my question. I'll just stick to 94-96 for my solenoids. If I can find a cheapie, I'd like to try the solenoids from a 97/93 to see what differences there are.

Thanks bro.

edit: NAPA doesn't have solenoid for 1993 and before.
edit2: Went to 2000 and 2001, and it asks for drivetrain. Then, the results list TCS562 and TCS563.
edit3: 1999 solenoid matches TCS562

Last edited:
I have found conflicting information.
This Page shows the AW4 having interchangable parts as the A340E.
This page shows the AW4 being related to the 450-43LE.

Which one is right?

I ask because a wikipedia search of the A340E shows a lot of possible tranny parts/pieces donors to the AW4 if that is true.

The two different types of solenoids for the AW4 are interchangeable. My 96 had the later type but I changed one to the earlier type which I took from an earlier gearbox. ( Solenoids cost £202 here). The only practical difference is that the connector fits on in the other direction.

Steve.

The two different types of solenoids for the AW4 are interchangeable. My 96 had the later type but I changed one to the earlier type which I took from an earlier gearbox. ( Solenoids cost £202 here). The only practical difference is that the connector fits on in the other direction.

Steve.

Interesting. So when you mount the older solenoids in your newer tranny, the solenoids were pointing in the opposite direction?

Anyone have a picture of the tranny pan off, showing how the solenoids are installed?

The solenoids mount in the same direction - just the wire is connected the opposite way round. There are photos of both in a post either on here or on Jeep Forum which may be helpful.

steve.

Back