• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waterproofing Silicone?

Make sure you get something that’s heat resistant on the label as well. It’s bound to get hot under the hood and the last thing I think you would want is to have it melt off.

How about a bead of dielectric grease? Sure, it could wash away eventually, but it should keep any splashed water out. I just pulled my Distributor Cap after nearly 2 years and the bead of Dielectric Grease was still sealing the cap, plus no cured RTV to scrap off.

It may be different over years and engines, but my '95 2.5L has a vent in the top of the distributor cap, so if you submerge the distributor water it going to get in there anyway.

If the dist. has a vent hole in the top of the cap best thing to do is use high temp rtv or dielectric grease around the cap to seal it, dielectric grease in the plug boots to protect them, then a rubber hose from the vent hole to where ever you are extending your other vents to.

If you get into water where the fan is shooting it around, the water will go right on through dielectric grease. You will want silicone and or a layer of plastic, like duct tape around the cap. Deeper yet, and you will want to pull off the vent cap and add a length of tubing to vent it higher up. Any deeper and you should have just swam...

Hallo Jeepers. I use SuperLube from Synco (imported from USA) for all my electric connectors and rubber boots for many years now. But watch out with the O2 sensor!:nono:
For guidingpins of the brakes,sparkplugboots,distributor and lampsconnectors it is fantastic.
For the sensor connectors only put it on the boots, not the contactpins.
Also be careful with Ox-guard, because it is not a dielectric but a conductive silicongrease.:wave:

Last edited:
dielectric is an insulator so why does it work so well on connectors? I was just wondering how if somethings a insulator you put it on does it not hinder electron flow?

Hallo Jeeper. I did some tests with dielectric silicongrease on connectorpins, to see or there was a fall in current or voltage flow.
Well there isn't.with 12 volt and higher voltage. Watch out with the sensitive connectors of the TPS sensor and o2 sensors. They have a low voltage.
Also the O2 sensor can damage by silicone and they need reference air through the wires and connector.
:shhh:

Grease will move out of the way before the wires do. As long as compression is constant then the wire surface area stays the same, and all the grease does is fill the voids and retard corrosion from other junk that would otherwise get in there.

When I did the rear cut and fold on the quarters I used liquid nails for aluminum.

Back