• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

copper "egr tube"?

JGXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Tired of trying to find the egr tube that I cracked while replacing my cracked manifold. Any problems you guys can see if I just head to Home Depot and get some 5/8 copper pipe, and then bend and flare it to OEM form. What happens to copper after prolonged exhaust exposure. The seal between the exhaust manifold and down pipe was a honey combed copper donut and it didn't seem the worse for wear, especially considering the 230k miles on it. Any objections or concerns, otherwise I'm going forward with a little bling under the hood. If I didn't live in smog happy CA, I would just excise the whole EGR circuit. But as it is, my NOX was a little high last smog check, so I want to do what I can to mitigate it. Any ideas always appreciated from this forum.

i would call the DMV and find out if its acceptable first, visual inspection will kill you every time.

i would say go for it, but it depends on where you take your jeep to be smogged. my smog guy knows me and only looks for cracked hoses and missing pieces now, its a game we play :D

don't know about visual inspection problems, but the A.I.R. (air injection) replacement tubes are copper and hold up fine. I know they are designed to flow fresh air into the converter and not exhaust to the intake, but they hold up fine under similar heat conditions. I would also think you'd hold up fine since the aluminum in the intake handles it o.k.

Back