• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 axle swap

92tahoexj

NAXJA Forum User
i was thinking of swapping my D35 in my 92' for an 8.25. the local pick-n-pull has several, but no D44's. i'm planning on re-gearing it myself over the winter. i don't own a welder as wanted to know if i could just bolt up the 8.25 without any major mods(spring perches, shock mounts, etc). i just want to know what i'm getting myself into before i make the trip. the more i think about it, i don't really need a D44. i only have a 3 inch lift and running 31's w/3:55's. it's my DD. i do want to re-gear for the 31's.

thanks

The swap is a direct bolt in, setting up the gears will require some knowledge and tools. I do my own gears and have for a while(25 years) and its still a challenge sometimes. I consider setting up diffs as much of an art as it is anything else.

Not saying you can't do it but you will need tools and do a lot of reading. It also helps to watch others go through a couple of set-ups.

thanks, the reason for the regear is that i live in lake tahoe and drive up and down the mountian passes twice a day. i had a vw bus behind me honking her horn so she could pass. my brother is a mechanic and is coming out to visit this winter, so he said he would show me how, that way i could setup the front this summer.
thanks for all the help! wish me luck!

i've got 32's on 3.55's and it still passes mazdas goin uphill. just gotta know how to use the pedal on the right correctly and not be afraid of the tach goin up to 5000

i've got 32's on 3.55's and it still passes mazdas goin uphill. just gotta know how to use the pedal on the right correctly and not be afraid of the tach goin up to 5000

5MPG here I come! You're also lugging the crap out of your motor and tranny in OD. the only reason I haven't regeared with 31s and 3.07s is it's not driven daily rarely at all.

The driveshaft is likely to end up about 1" too long, unless you're running a bunch of lift.

Regearing the 8.25 requires a couple a proprietary adjustment tool, find a local professional and see if they will rent it to you. There is a crush sleeve on the pinion, don't use the one that comes in aftermarket install kits (they are junk), go to the dealership and buy 2-3 before you start.. they are only a few bucks each.

Other than that, its direct bolt in. :)

The driveshaft is likely to end up about 1" too long, unless you're running a bunch of lift.

Regearing the 8.25 requires a couple a proprietary adjustment tool, find a local professional and see if they will rent it to you. There is a crush sleeve on the pinion, don't use the one that comes in aftermarket install kits (they are junk), go to the dealership and buy 2-3 before you start.. they are only a few bucks each.

Other than that, its direct bolt in. :)

there are a few threads that mention ways to build this tool that you mention. it's a 36 mm reverse nut, so d30 hub nuts can be welded to bent/bad tie rods and a bolt welded to the other then the nuts get torqued down to 175 ft lb. i'm trying to decide whether to do my own or save the hassle and have a shop do it... right now i'm leaning towards bringing it to a shop. being a full time student and living on campus sucks like that.

there are a few threads that mention ways to build this tool that you mention. it's a 36 mm reverse nut, so d30 hub nuts can be welded to bent/bad tie rods and a bolt welded to the other then the nuts get torqued down to 175 ft lb. i'm trying to decide whether to do my own or save the hassle and have a shop do it... right now i'm leaning towards bringing it to a shop. being a full time student and living on campus sucks like that.

yeah, I was hoping the OP would do his research and find that, though. :)

And yeah, gears are the one and only thing I pay a shop to do for me. When a gear install fails, it really fails.

Back