• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Green Diamond retreads, opinions??

Ray H

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.greendiamondtire.com/concept.html
Im thinking of getting a set of these. lots of posts and opinions on retreads so im not really asking for opinions on retreads in general, just the concept and function of Green Diamond technology. Is this a gimmick or does it actually work?
Im building up my Wrangler to be a plow truck so winter traction is a priority. It wont see more than 7000 miles per year, just plowing and some commuting short distance, not much if any off roading or long trips.
I would probably only save $70-$80 over getting a cheap set of virgin all season tires so I wouldnt really consider the retreads if it werent for the claims of the Green Diamond. They almost sound ideal for my purposes, low annual miles, cheap and superior snow and ice traction.

i call bs i have never heard of them anywhere, and that may be the first problem, if its just gonna be a plow truck get a set of cheaper mud terrains, your not looking for the best rockcrawling or speed tire because there is no need so you don't have to buy the best, just something that will get you there and back

Hi-tech retreading sells green diamond. Not sure if it's just a gimmick but the dudes at Hi-tech have great products and stand by their retreads more than some new tire manufacturers. Several people on here run their products.

Yea, I put a link up that I think explains Green Diamond better but its the Hi Techs I was actually looking at.
I just got done doing a search on a plow site that I used to visit every so often. The Green Diamonds got great reviews from the couple people that have used them. The only down side seems to be that they wear quickly. 25000-30000 miles is about all you can expect. I guess thats in line with a good snow tire though. http://www.high-tec-retreading.com/sizes.html
Im thinking about the AT-D in 31X10.50. Mud terrains and plowing dont generally mix very well. MTs get good traction in the deep stuff but when you spend your time right behind a snowplow, its not deep or you're doing something wrong.:)

I had green diamond tires on a 2wd ranger (not hi-tec, but they were retreads) in a 215-75-14 size, not an aggressive tread. $40 apiece was my main motivator. The grip was much better than expected on ice (close to studs at low speeds), good on hardpack, and no different than an all season on slushy or wet roads. Deeper powder (4-6") seemed a little better too. They did wear pretty fast once spring came, whether thet was due to the tires or my p.o.s. truck is debateable. The rubber compound did seem soft on them and they got kinda ragged looking. Hi-tec, however, says they use truck rubber, as in semis, and I think that they might be tougher.

Debated long and hard on the GD Hi-tecs when getting tires for the xj this summer, but I was looking for a 32" mud tire. Hoping the siping on the Maxxis Bighorns I got instead helps.

Dunno if you're plowing commercially, but if so that Wrangler will wear you out. I plowed with a YJ in '93 up here. That thing was a handful whether you were in a driveway or transiting, it was a manual and the tcase wouldn't stay in 4wd (hand ballet x3 with the plow controls!), and I froze my ass off every night. Went back to a FS Bronco the next year. Good times!

Last edited:
I would like to do it commercially. ive never plowed with a small vehicle before, I had an F350 with a 9'2" Boss V plow until last summer (it ws a 5 spd also and alot of work in tight places). I did some roads and drives with it. Way too much truck for driveways. I have my YJ that my wife and I have been off roading for several years. We dont wheel like we used to but I cant seem to get rid of it (lota blood sweat and tears in it) so taking the lift and swampers off, putting the swaybar and trackbar back on and giving it another job to do so it can earn its keep. I will concentrate on driveways and small lots.
Having done this, what are your feelings about plowing with a locker? My YJ has a rear Detroit. Ive been told by more than a couple people that its a plus but my personal experience is that a locker and slick roads do not mix. Ive only driven it with the locker during the winter with Swampers on though. Maybe the tires make the difference, thats why Im kind of excited about the Green Diamond stuff. Im hoping that with a good set of tractable tires, the locker wont be such a problem on ice.

shortxjdoug said:
i call bs i have never heard of them anywhere, and that may be the first problem, if its just gonna be a plow truck get a set of cheaper mud terrains, your not looking for the best rockcrawling or speed tire because there is no need so you don't have to buy the best, just something that will get you there and back

I take it you don't have a lot of experience driving in the snow, here in new hampshire a lot of old timers run what they call "sandpaper" retreads, same thing basically as the green diamonds. yes they wear quick but they do hold the road.

Ray H said:
Having done this, what are your feelings about plowing with a locker? My YJ has a rear Detroit. Ive been told by more than a couple people that its a plus but my personal experience is that a locker and slick roads do not mix. Ive only driven it with the locker during the winter with Swampers on though. Maybe the tires make the difference, thats why Im kind of excited about the Green Diamond stuff. Im hoping that with a good set of tractable tires, the locker wont be such a problem on ice.

Plowing it's an advantage- you'll be able to change direction with less wheelspin and it will push straighter with the blade loaded, but you're right, on the road it can get away from you with very little warning. I had 200lbs of sand in the back of the yj when I used it to help balance the plow weight- it was stock, open diff, and the front end sag made it squirrelly on the road.

ANYTHING will be better than the swampers!

f350 is too big, and a 9'2" blade? I'd be scooping up passing traffic and pedestrians with that monster!

They say a K5 Blazer w/ the heavy axles, 31" ATs, 8ft blade, and extra frame ties is the ultimate plow vehicle. Unfortunately, those all rusted away up here about 10 years ago.

JetWrench said:
f350 is too big, and a 9'2" blade? I'd be scooping up passing traffic and pedestrians with that monster!

That truck and blade was perfect for doing roads and larger lots. For instance, I had the contract to do my subdiviosion roads. A total of 5 miles of road, took me less than an hour to do the 5 miles and clear intersections for a quick $350 every 6". Took me almost half that long to do most driveways because it was too big to turn around. The blade stuck out too far to do most drivethroughs as well.
Yes you really had to watch what you were doing while transporting. The V configuration made it better but it was still wide. You transport a V blade in the V position. To make things worse, I couldnt transport it completely folded back or the edges would dig into the road as I drove.
Im looking forward to something smaller I think.
Ive got a little 4 cyl YJ with 4.88s and rear D44 w/ Detroit and 4.5" lift. Im taking the lift springs off and putting the stock springs w/ an AAL back on. Im hoping the AAL will be enough to keep it from sagging too much in front. I am a little worried about the power of the 4 cyl but I think with the 4.88s, it should be fine. Ditch the Swampers for some smaller ice/snow tires and Im all set. Well, I need a plow!! Im looking at a used 6.5 Western right now but Im undecided, I just got some pics and it looks kinda rough.

Theres a guy that lives about a mile from me that has a real nice K5 for sale. Everytime I drive by it I want to stop and look at it but I know we already have too many vehicles as it is. I dont see many 1/2 trucks plowing around here. Most everyone jumped on the 3/4 & 1 ton diesel bandwagon a couple years back. I guess Im included but I bought mine used and bought it as a work truck for my landscaping business. Not many little plow trucks left.
trucktractor.jpg

Last edited:
Back