• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

peugot to AW4 swap?

sonic reducer

NAXJA Forum User
i can pick up a mid 90s aw4 with tcase for a decent price. i'm a little tired of the way the peugot trans shifts and would like to go AT for a few other reasons. has anyone done this particular swap in an 89 MJ? what additional parts are needed(shafts, cooler, etc)? what about trying to wire the TCU?
i did a search but did not come up with anything.
i have done 2 automatic-> manual swaps in subarus and it wasn't that bad but i am new to jeeps and do not know the ins and outs.

You will want the drive shafts from the AW to make sure you have all the pieces, a shifter would be nice too. A coolers always a good option. The TCU would be nice to have all the wiring from the donor vehicle. If not there are aftermarket shift options.
RD

i did this on my 88 manche. not difficult but alot of parts are needed. better to have a parts vehicle. ill try to give you a list...

transmission
transfer case
driveshafts... aw4 is longer than pukegoat
wiring and tcu for tranny
shifter and linkage/cable
transfer case shift linkage
floor plate the shifter bolts to
tranny lines and cooler
crossmember will need to be moved to the rearmost holes

thats pretty much everthing. the throtle body may need changed to one from an auto for the kickdown to hook up but im not sure as i did a complete motor and tranny swap. the flywheel also needs changed to an auto one but thats common sense.
like i said, the best way to do this would be to have a parts vehicle. or spend the day in a jy and strip one vehicle for everything needed. once you tear one down you will know what all you need.

Back