• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's wrong with my steering??

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ 4.0 AW4 it's got 5.5" RE LA lift, 4:56 gears, front ARB, SYE, LOTS more, etc. It's got just a hair over 100k miles.

16k miles ago the steering box was replaced with a factory replacement. I also have a borgeson steering shaft installed.

Over the past 5 - 6k miles my alignment has gotten terrible. Yeah, I've been neglecting getting it fixed due to lack of funds. This has also worn my Trxus MTs to the point of needing replacement.

Everything seems to work OK except for low speed tight turns on pavement. You REALLY have to force it to turn. Feels like the power steering cuts in/out/in/out. The fluid is full and in good condition. The old steering box was replaced out of preventative maintenance... back in the days where I had more discretionary income than I knew what to do with... lol

Sounds like your P/S Pump is bad.. A garage with power steering pressure gauges can check.
I check and set my alignment several times a year... Helps keep tire replacement cost down.

Good Luck
Nick

90Pio, the good news is that the pump is a lot easier and cheaper to change than the box.

My only tip (I'm in the middle of mine right now) is don't remove the hard line on the return side: Just cut off the rubber hose. That's all the parts places sell as a replacement.

I assumed :)dunce:) that they'd replace the whole thing, so I destroyed the hard line getting it out. I'm on my way to the dealer to see if I can get another one...

Good luck!
Robert

Back