• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33's or 35's??

XZR2

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting ready to purchase a new set of tires and am debating going from a 33 to a 35. I would like to get some opinions and real world input. my setup right now as far as tire size goes is this:
Aw4
RE 5.5 with drop brackets
D30 HP in front
D44 in rear w/ 35 spline shafts
4:56 gearing
ORO steering and Vanco brake setup.

This is a DD and Weekend toy, anyone running 35’s on 4:56’s how is power? I am planning on running some Maxxis Bighorns.

Also anyone have a 35 laying in the back behind the seat? my 33 fits back there now. just wondering if i would need to look at a diffrent setup for a 35.

Thanks in advance

35's are fine. Im about to regear to 4.56 for 35's.

I had 4.88's on 35's on my other truck and it was a bit too high on the RPM's for my driving style on the highway.

4.56 has Plenty of power still for 35s

You have more than enough lift for it also.

The 35 wont fit behind the back seat, your going to have to remove it or have it laying over the back of it where somones head would be lol

If you stand the tire up it will fit, you cant lay it down. If you trim you can fit the 35's with 5.5" of lift. Also 4.56s and 35's are okay for running up and down the HWY. I wish I had 4.88's but I never did plan on running 35's either, so the 4.56's will work.

Keep in mind guys a rubicon express 5.5 is defiintly not 5.5 inches, probably more around 6.5-7". You will be able to fit 35s fine, and yes 4.56s will be the beast choice for gas mileage, just use 4low when you wheel it

I run 4.56 and 35", get good mileage, but the power is definitely lacking. I'll eventually bump it to 5.13, but it's not nearly a DD.

Thanks for the input guys, I am running a Tera 4:1 in my 231 so that will help. I just need to figure out what I will do with the spare tire, I don’t want to put it on the roof, and I don’t want to have to replace the rear bumper

I had to trim for the 33’s in the front, and I still l have some rubbing on the inside of the wheel well. How much did you guys trim to fit the 35’s with a 5.5 inch lift?

Make a trailer hitch swing away... just an option for the spare.
Ill tell you a 35 in the back sucks, you wont be carrying anything.

35s on a re 5.5 and 4.56s is perfect.

I got 35's on the RE 4.5 (+1 inch spacers up front) and trimmed a bunch. And, I still have 4 inches of bumpstop up front which seems just about perfect now.

I will be going to 35's and 4.56's on a lp before I build my hp30. I have the 4.5" kit which netted me about 5.5" or 6" with a 1 3/4" spacer up front to level it out. Plenty of room for them and with correct bumpstops will be perfect.

You also run a spool, and if im correct you have the Low output 4.0 also right Razdrvr?

Thats a big thing with power. lol

I don't see where the spool would affect the power, but yes I do have a "low output" 4.0

Spool would be an issue since its fighting to go in a straight line.

My friends got 3.55's, 33's and a spool.. Things a dog.

Im not dissing you in any way, im just saying 4.56 on 35's shouldnt really be "lacking" power. I think 4.88s are perfect in most peoples eyes on 35's but I felt it was a little overgeared.

ShockMount014.jpg

this is a 35 standing up in the back

35's are fine. Im about to regear to 4.56 for 35's.

I had 4.88's on 35's on my other truck and it was a bit too high on the RPM's for my driving style on the highway.

you also drive on the highway at 90 mph

for most people 4.88's and even lower would be the better choice

Spool would be an issue since its fighting to go in a straight line.

My friends got 3.55's, 33's and a spool.. Things a dog.

my jeep is no dog and i am spooled

and you don't beleive me when i tell you my gas milage anyway

for the spare tire issue, i just installed a rear zj seat, its split 60/40 so you can fold one side down to fit the spare and still carry a passenger back there

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=960773#post960773 I'll be running 4.88s when I put my 33s on (33s and 4.56s are pretty much close to stock) now factor in the additional ride height and weight of all the crap we carry when we go off road (I plan and pulling a trailer at times, as well) and reduced aerodynamics due to the afore mentioned ride height and 4.56s and 33s (let alone 35s!) seems under geared. The 4.0 can handle the extra RPMs with no problem and will probably be in the meat of it's torque band. Just for comparison, my XJ on 31s and 3.55s is a dog! Just my opinion, though.---------Hans

4.56's and 35's........aaahhhh NO!! I am runnin 4.88's/35's and still find the Heep a little under powered. I am runnin an Auto and when I set cruise it down shifts a little to much for me! When I get my 60's I am goin 5.13's minimum and I am a DD!!

Back