• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

V8 Question

JeepBliss

NAXJA Forum User
So I am looking into putting a V8 in my XJ. I was just wondering if anyone has converted their Cherokee to a V8? If so I would like to know what you would do differently or what you would recommend? Or if you know a bit about V8's what would you recommend to put in an XJ?

Thanks

Monique

Ok, I'll say it first: Search.
It's been done with AMC big blocks and the ever-popular chevy small block.
Issues include but are by no means limited to: width, weight, clearing the distributor AND accessory belts, wiring... Look up in advanced fab, there is a guy putting in a pretty modern SBC 5.3 liter in...

in my opinion a GM LS1 out of a camaro or trans am would be a perfect candidate. you can usually find them for under 2 grand and advanced adapters sells a plate to match it up to an AX-15. they have about the same power as a worked stroker and weigh almost 100 pounds less then the stock 4.0l. also they are very reliable and get ok mpg.

:cheers:Small block Fords[289/302, not 351W] are narrow & fit better. I've seen some nice installations. I hope you are replacing a V6 or 4 banger though. Don't you know it's sacreligious to replace a 4.0 with a V8?

So I am looking into putting a V8 in my XJ. I was just wondering if anyone has converted their Cherokee to a V8? If so I would like to know what you would do differently or what you would recommend? Or if you know a bit about V8's what would you recommend to put in an XJ?

Thanks

Monique
....,Noooooooooo,...never.....ever,.
..Okay maybe a coupla times .....-Search..and search again -I would just love to have an lightweight LS1 in my ole XJ-..but,
Alas,...However,...
Old engine (very underpowered )1984 XJ 2.8 liter engine-rebuilt at least two times before I found the Chevy V-8 5.7 liter would fit and was a cost-efficient( for the economic expenditure you get TRIPLE the amount of horsepower and is an easy option,... old 2.8 liter engine was,blown(..free..)
1995 Chevrolet 350 V-8 LT1 5.7 liter detuned and non-EFI option (carburetted ) ($800.00 crate engine)+ Chev-Delco 200 amp alternator + Be Cool aluminum radiator ($500.00 )
700R-4 trans($200.00) with ye ole Ford Bronco Dana 20 transfer case($200.00) with 1996 Ford 8.8 rear axle($500.00)
Advanced Adapter(Paso Robles, Ca) motor mounts and Chev 700R-4 transmission to Ford Dana 20 transfer case adapter-Wild Horse's(Stockton, Ca) Ford Bronco Dana 20 Extreme Duty 32-spline output kit-Rusty's 3-inch lift kit also various inexpensive miscellaneous local boneyard parts-Older model Chevy 1973 exhaust manifold, newer/used 1994 engine hood+spring fittings,1996 ZJ Jeep Grand Cherokee brake booster and proportioning spring-
bxj

"Worked Stroker"

You're referring to a worked stroker smallblock right? Cause even the early LS1's were way more powerful than a 4.7 stroker.

i meant 4.7L stroker. i dont know their exact power #'s i assumed their power #s were at least close to an ls1 considering the money people spend building them. thats just more of a reason to do a v8 and not a stroker.

Ok, I'll say it first: Search.
It's been done with AMC big blocks and the ever-popular chevy small block.
Issues include but are by no means limited to: width, weight, clearing the distributor AND accessory belts, wiring... Look up in advanced fab, there is a guy putting in a pretty modern SBC 5.3 liter in...

AMC never made a big block. The 304, 343, 360, 390 and 401 are all the same size- about 1-2 inches more than a gen 1 SBC in every dimension.

You will never build a 4.7 stroker that can even come close to attempting to compete with a LS1. Not unless you boost and spray the shit out of it.

People spend stupid money on 4.7 strokers cause they either have too much money to spend, don't want the hassle of a V8 swap or just want to stay all Jeep. But, for the money of a stroker, give me the lighter LS1 any day of the week. There is no area that the 4.7 is superior against the LS except for maybe the fact it's a drop in VS a V8 swap...

You will never build a 4.7 stroker that can even come close to attempting to compete with a LS1. Not unless you boost and spray the shit out of it.

People spend stupid money on 4.7 strokers cause they either have too much money to spend, don't want the hassle of a V8 swap or just want to stay all Jeep. But, for the money of a stroker, give me the lighter LS1 any day of the week. There is no area that the 4.7 is superior against the LS except for maybe the fact it's a drop in VS a V8 swap...

and the fact that the "all powerful" ls1 is a bitch to swap into a jeep. They are expensive, big, and not worth it. My stock ls1 made 305 at the wheels. My stroker makes better torque and costs around $1500 after it was in and running. I would like to have an LS1 XJ, it would be pretty cool, but if you want to label a project as "too much money to spend" it is going to have to be an LS1 swap, because the motor alone will cost 2k, much less the new tranny, computer, motor mounts, radiator, tcase, rear axle. Heck, I know people who need an LS1 for their Fbodies cause they broke' one, and they cannot find one worth buying.

The LS1 is one of the only stock V8's worth swapping. A SBC, either 305 or 350, makes crappy power, and fords are even worse stock. to get a V8 into the power and torque curve of a 4.7 takes twice the money of a 4.7, then you still have to pay the extras to do the swap.

You must be shopping for engines in the wrong places. I know of several low milage LS1's bought for around 1200. Now that the LS2 and 3 are getting into yards, the LS1's are getting even cheaper. That excuse doesn't fly. Maybe they are expensive in your area, but not everywhere. I should know. I've swapped one into a RX7 with a friend and another in a S10. You aren't looking hard enough.

Your 4.7 is not throwing 305hp and as much tq at the wheels. I call BS unless I see dyno screens.

Your 4.7 is not throwing 305hp and as much tq at the wheels

My stock ls1 made 305 at the wheels. My stroker makes better torque and costs around $1500 after it was in and running.

I don't see him mentioning his stroker made 305hp? He does claim to be making better torque.

Wikipedia said:
It is an all-aluminum 5.7 L (5,665 cc/345.7 cu in) pushrod engine and was rated between 305 - 350 hp (227 to 261 kW) and 335-375 ft·lbf (454-508 N·m) of torque in North America, depending on the application.

Dr. Dyno's Website said:
My stroker engine's producing a calculated 258hp @ 4850rpm and 320lbft @ 3500rpm. At least 278lbft (1.0lbft/ci) is available from 1500 to 4850rpm. The difference in performance over the old modified 4.0 is very noticeable, particularly from 1500-4000rpm where I need it most.

It's VERY possible to make the same torque as an LS1. So I would say he may not be lying?

and the fact that the "all powerful" ls1 is a bitch to swap into a jeep. They are expensive, big, and not worth it. My stock ls1 made 305 at the wheels. My stroker makes better torque and costs around $1500 after it was in and running. I would like to have an LS1 XJ, it would be pretty cool, but if you want to label a project as "too much money to spend" it is going to have to be an LS1 swap, because the motor alone will cost 2k, much less the new tranny, computer, motor mounts, radiator, tcase, rear axle. Heck, I know people who need an LS1 for their Fbodies cause they broke' one, and they cannot find one worth buying.

The LS1 is one of the only stock V8's worth swapping. A SBC, either 305 or 350, makes crappy power, and fords are even worse stock. to get a V8 into the power and torque curve of a 4.7 takes twice the money of a 4.7, then you still have to pay the extras to do the swap.

what tranny did you mate your stroker too. i hope its an ax-15. and heads up if its handling the crazy torque of your stroker it will handle the the power of an ls1. and AA sells an adapter:shhh:

jeep transfer cases are strong enough as well as the stock d44 rear.
computer comes with the motor in most cases. and as far as motor mounts and radiators go. you will probably be replacing yours in the future because they are weak points on the xj anyway.

sounds like a fun swap to me... not something i would do to a DD but if you had a couple of months to swap one in and work out the kinks i would do this over a stroker

Last edited:
I don't see him mentioning his stroker made 305hp? He does claim to be making better torque.

It's VERY possible to make the same torque as an LS1. So I would say he may not be lying?

The cost of an LS1 transplant will far exceed that of a 4.7 stroker!!!! The stroker can very easily make LS1 torque and what is most important in our hobby........yup you guessed it TORQUE!!! Hell, you can even get LS1 HP if you boost a stroker!! My money is on the Stroker!!:yelclap:

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/pts/825763882.html

theres one for 1000 bucks

says hes going for a bigger setup. aka the newer more powerful ls motors. you are going to see a lot of cheaper ls1s in the near future, just like the LT1s
its missing the computer and has a small crack in the intake but its also been on here for over a month. i bet you could pick it up for 600 or 700 and throw a brand new truck intake from a 6.0L and make more tourque

ok, start adding stuff up based on a $800 LS1, I doubt you could get it for much less, 800 is reasonable. That just bought you a motor in unknown condition. Now the whole point in this for me would be to put in a motor I know is going to run. SO we add a complete gasket set, call it $150 or so. Needs a new intake too, call it around $50-100 for a LS6 intake since they are better. Next we need a computer and harness, my buddy just got $200 for his old one. We will just forget that none of your gauges work with the new computer and harness, so somethig will need to be done there. Need some sort of exhaust, most people seem to be sourcing the Advance adapters block huggers, which are going hurt your HP numbers a bit. From the same company we can get our motor mounts and bellhousing/adapter from there. (headers:$289, Engine Mounts $189, Bellhousing $455). For exhaust your best bet will be to run a custom setup, probably based on the y-pipe used in F-bodies. probably need some money there too, but since we are assuming that a stroker would need one too we can call it even there. However, about that super strong stock D44 rear, if you are already running one, cool, but if not you had better plan on a swap soon, more $.

thats $2255ish, not a bad budget, does not account for all the small stuff that will be forgotten, ie bolts and small parts. It is using a used motor in unknown condition and assuming it is good. It is also not figuring out what radiator to run, how to do the air intake, are you going to cut the fire wall or just beat it back, where will you move the stuff that is currently in the engine bay, and how will you receive info on how the motor is doing.

I recently had to make this decision, and eventually went stroker. Another thing to consider is that while the ax15 can be mated to a GM V8, an aw4 cannot. I would like to do an LS1 swap, possibly into the MJ I am building, but it will take a lot more to do than just shoehorning it in and starting her up.

Last edited:
Back