• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Critisize my build

XJMarty

NAXJA Forum User
Well,

this is going to be my DD, 50 miles a day to and back from work, ocassional towing, and some minor "offroading" I need to do for my work.

I start with 1992, HO, front D30, rear 29 spl 8.25, gears 4.88 (already have them), 32x11,5x15 BFG AT, 4.5" RE Superflex, RE HD Trackbar and trackbar brace, C-rok frame brace, stock bumpers (I need to keep it legal).
I plan to keep my 242 and do a RE HnT sye.

I was thinkink also in doing truetracs front and rear with the gears, but I do have any experience with them at all, I have a detroit in my trailer queen, and I was thinking of maybe going open/detroit.

the main use of locker or LSD will be to pull 2000 LBS trailer from some offroad spot for some short distace to/from nearest road. I think that the full detroit will bring me more negative on the road, that the 2 TTs will loose on traction.

Any ideas/opinions. Did I miss something?

Thanks to the NAXJA Crew ;)

50 miles a day in the Czech Republic? How much is gas there, like $8 USD a gallon? Realize you're going to get about 12 MPG with the big lift and tires.

4.5" seems a bit much for 32's. You could go lower and adjust your fenders and bumpstops instead. 4.88's will suck on the highway, although they'll tear it up off road.

4.5" seems a bit much for 32's. You could go lower and adjust your fenders and bumpstops instead.
negative, I am running 4.5" with 31"s, and it flexes (and stuffs) like mad. throw in the detroit in the rear, and i only have to use the ARB when I pick a tough line. you can do some pretty ridiculous stuff with this combination. i can drag and scrape my heep all over just about anything, and so far stay off the really difficult trails because I don't have rocker guards yet. get a nice compliment of skid plates (pumpkins, lower control arms, trans and t-case)
4.88's are a little deep, i am running 4.11's, and it is just about right. 4.56's for 32's would be good, but to each is own, especially if you already have them. get some brake upgrades to be able to hold that back when you are in 2-low.

Your going to hate your life with 32's on 4.88's.

I hated my truck with 4.88's and 35's on the highway. Have fun doing 65MPH at 4K RPM.

Go with 4.10's if possible.

If you are only gonna run 32's, do not get 4.88's with 50 driving miles a day. I have the exact set up you are talking about; RE 4.5, 32's, front and rear lockers, and armor w/ 4.56 gears and I'm turning 3000 at highway speed. I'd say either up the tire size or choose a higher gear ratio, everything else is tried and true.

I agree 4.88s and 32s may be a bit much for your needs. However, since your in the Czech Republic, how fast do you drive? I have no idea what the speed limits are there, but if you don't need to go over about 55 it may be tolerable. You should still consider running 33's, or even 35s, since you already have the gears.
As far as the LSD or Locker, if you only do "minor offroading" the Truetrack should do well. Otherwise, with all that on road driving you may want to consider a selectable.

I ran on 4.88's and 32's for a year. Highway driving at 65mph and above engine turning high rpms..
Now I have my 35's .. Life is good!!!

Nick

CZ has lower speed limits and a lot of hills. I think given Marty's location (I know more about his situation than most of you) 4.88 and 32's is not a bad call.

Whoever thinks 4.5" is too much lift for 32's needs to SPOBI and get a f'n clue.

3.5" and 32's, the tires rub just going over speedbumps.

finch-jeep.jpg

4.5" and 32's, which worked out REALLY well.

741827126203_0_bg.jpg

46570666208_0_bg.jpg

In fact, Rubicon Express even specifies on the documentation for their 4.5" lift, "this lift best suited for 32" tires".

And yes, Marty has one of the first Nitro 4.88 8.25 gear sets, he's had it for a couple months now.

I got 31's with stock suspension (I know it could never be done according to the internet) bumpstop and trimmed fenders, tires tuck real nice and flexes real good.

IMG_0351.jpg

Quite a few people run 2-3" lift and 32-33" tires just fine.

Well 4.5 you can run 32s fine just if you take out sway-bars and dont have bumpstops your going to need to cut your fenders.

heres mine with 4.5 n 31s
l_b3586800bfe63d0924cb4d90de17af-1.jpg

l_4aaeda16792d1c97c1264246e5c833731.jpg

n 4.5 with 33s
Myjeep004.jpg

Back