• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 swap, conectors are not teh same.

glennv

NAXJA Forum User
I had a 231 and swapped in the 242 but speedo gear connections were different. I just swapped the whple speedo gear assembly. Is this OK?
The other connector, which I assume is for the light gauge, is total different. Can I just leave it disconnected?

I had a 231 and swapped in the 242 but speedo gear connections were different. I just swapped the whple speedo gear assembly. Is this OK?
The other connector, which I assume is for the light gauge, is total different. Can I just leave it disconnected?

Yes you should be fine swapping speedgear drives. The other connector is for the dashlighting/range selection, that you can leave unplugged & zip tied out of the way.

Swapping speedo assemblies is no problem. Pay attention to the orientation of the gears--the shaft is offset on the assembly so that it can be rotated into different positions, but you will bind/skip if you get it wrong.

It's perfectly safe to run without the lights. If you want them later, you will need a wiring harness to get the 242 working with the dash lights. Depending on year of vehicle and donor tcase you may be able to buy one off the shelf or you may have to make your own.

The 242 had 36 teeth of the gear and the one from the 231 had 34. Which gear should I have put into the 242? Also, is there a way to adjust the shifter linkage. I have a hard time getting it to shift back into 2WD.

Use the gear that was on the old one and your speedo will be the same. The gear is on a shaft, you can either remove the gear or remove the shaft, whichever is easier.

For the linkage, pull the shifter handle all the way back and push the shift lever on the tcase all the way down to get them both into 4-low. Loosen the large bolt on the linkage and break off the dirt and whatnot so that the bar moves back and forth. Put the shifter handle about 1/4" from the farthest back position and tighten the bolt. Adjust as needed. Note that the handle has a little bit of flex so you need room at the front and rear positions for the handle to flex to fully engage the linkage.

Last edited:
Back