• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strengthened stock crossmember

dan302492

NAXJA Forum User
needed something to do today so i decided to try and beef up my stock crossmember. yes i know i forgot to drill out the holes for the trany mount:doh: gonna do that tomarow. plated the bottom with 1/8 stock and built a small t-case skid off it. skid isnt a single plate peice for those who cant tell. it'll do for now

wheeling.jpg

Looks beefy! I'd also agree about perhaps making a second "crossmember" to tie the tcase skid into the unibody rails.

Maybe just find another stock crossmember and plate it the same way and then bolt it in place? Not sure if that would work or not.

As mentioned, you definitely need to brace the back of that skid. One good smack and it could bend, or worse, rip the whole crossmember off! Since the mounts are still sheet metal, and you beefed up the rest of the crossmember, guess what's gonna give when the back of the skid comes down on a rock or something.
Don't get me wrong, you have the right idea here, you just need to add a rear crossmember.

Oh, and I bet that thing rides pretty rough by looking at your control arm angles... or is it on a jack?

Last edited:
As mentioned, you definitely need to brace the back of that skid. One good smack and it could bend, or worse, rip the whole crossmember off! Since the mounts are still sheet metal, and you beefed up the rest of the crossmember, guess what's gonna give when the back of the skid comes down on a rock or something.
Don't get me wrong, you have the right idea here, you just need to add a rear crossmember.

Oh, and I bet that thing rides pretty rough by looking at your control arm angles... or is it on a jack?

Agreed. Simply try and jack up the rig from that "skid" and you'll quickly find out if it's strong enough.

It definetly looks like it's on the ground.

Back