• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cb install?

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
i got a cb from walmart. its just a "cobra 19 ultra lll" nothing special. i tried searching but nothing came up. i want to see and know were people mounted there CBs other then between the visors. i have a Fitch Box* up there. i'd like to see some custom ways if possible to give me an idea. thought about cutting it into my dash. any help will be apt.
Thanks

If you don't put it up on the roof there, then most people mount it on the passenger side of the tranny tunnel. In terms of having a CB with a 'box' type thingie, that's about it for options (as far as I've seen...). There is a CB that doesn't have a big 'box' and has all the controls on the mic...forget the name/number, but it's somewhat common. It's not cheap though....

You have the same CB as me. I mounted mine using the two screws for the remote door lock receiver on the headliner.

I have two XJs, but my 96 I have a cobra 19 (not sure of the suffix) mounted where the receiver thingy was....I never had the FOB thingie...and really don't care to have one anyways. My other XJ I have the CB mounted on the tranny tunnel. I can't complain either way.

CBandextras.jpg
my buddy has the ultra 3 mounted the same as mine its hidden(for the most part from parking lot shoppers) but easy to operate and see from the driver seat and the mic is easily accesed aswell nice and close to power source(fuse block) and if you do a fender mount you dont need to run much co-ax cable which means better/clearer reception plus if you pick up an ext. speaker you can mount it next to the tranny hump which i found makes the radio much easier to hear

passenger side of my console. I have the same CB not too bad for a cheapie should get way better with a new antenna. I used it to talk to some truckers who were stopped on I-65 last night

I mounted mine in the dash where the center a/c vent is (1989), I like things to be built in. I don't use the a/c much but it still blows plenty of cold air out of the other vents. I was thinking about adding another vent if needed but I haven't wrenched on the XJ lately. I also mounted one in a 98 overhead console for a buddy,you can not tell there is a cb there when the door is closed.

I mounted mine in the dash where the center a/c vent is (1989), I like things to be built in. I don't use the a/c much but it still blows plenty of cold air out of the other vents. I was thinking about adding another vent if needed but I haven't wrenched on the XJ lately. I also mounted one in a 98 overhead console for a buddy,you can not tell there is a cb there when the door is closed.

yea i thought about grabbin an overead console specifically for the purpose of the CB but couldnt find anything my color and didnt wanna bother redoin the fabric and as for the center dash vent thats about the only vent in my heep that puts out decent air flow but i like mine where it is keeps passengers from screwin around with it

Back