• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle question

Tommy4949

NAXJA Forum User
I am selling the posi-traction out of the D35 in my parts rig. I still want to be able to move the rig around the yard. Anyone have any tricks to keep the axle shafts from falling out without the carrier? Thanks.

Can't be done. It's a semi-float axle...as in, you need the carrier there in order for the axles to be aligned and make the wheels turn.

If you have a non-c clip Dana 35, you might be able to get away with towing it around the yard a bit...but it wouldn't be pretty.

My suggestion would be to just pick up another axle for cheap and throw it in there. Stock rear axles are CHEAP!! Especially Dana 35s. I wouldn't pay more than 20 bux for a dana 35.

Can't be done. It's a semi-float axle...as in, you need the carrier there in order for the axles to be aligned and make the wheels turn.

If you have a non-c clip Dana 35, you might be able to get away with towing it around the yard a bit...but it wouldn't be pretty.

My suggestion would be to just pick up another axle for cheap and throw it in there. Stock rear axles are CHEAP!! Especially Dana 35s. I wouldn't pay more than 20 bux for a dana 35.

x2... Got my whole truck for free. Would let u have old my turdy 5 if we weren't 3000 miles apart. There is nothing U can do to get a 35 to roll with no carrier. Make em take the whole axle! Check your area Karma thread for a turdy five or 8.25.

I have no personal experience with axles so dont flame my idea, a simple "wont work" will do (nor do I claim to know whats going on):

From what I've seen, couldnt you just get a peice of tubing/conduit a little larger than the axles and weld it to them to keep them from sliding out? Thats seems like it'd work from what I've seen.....

Just an idea, might not work but I dont know. I think it'd make the thing completely un-re-useable.

I have no personal experience with axles so dont flame my idea, a simple "wont work" will do (nor do I claim to know whats going on):

From what I've seen, couldnt you just get a peice of tubing/conduit a little larger than the axles and weld it to them to keep them from sliding out? Thats seems like it'd work from what I've seen.....

Just an idea, might not work but I dont know. I think it'd make the thing completely un-re-useable.

"won't work"

Once you take an axle apart, you'll understand.

grab a regular carrier from a junkyard complete with bearings, and re-install with your old ring gear (that i assume you kept), but put the spiders and side gears and c-clips in to keep the axles in

or no ring gear and drive it in 4x4 so the front pulls.

gear mesh doesn't matter for your purpose, as long as the ratio is correct, you are golden. don't even need fluid or a cover

I think I didn't make myself clear here. I don't want to drive it around the yard, I just want to be able to move it by hooking it to a truck and pulling it if I wanted to get rid of it. I just need the wheels to turn without the axles walking out. I'm not going to buy anything. Some one wants buy the locker and I need the axle to keep the parts Jeep mobile. I would just trade the locker for the guy's open carrier, but that's not an option.

I was thinking of a washer larger than the inside diameter of the axle tube and welding it. Of course, I wouldn't be towing it down the road or anything, but at least it could be moved across the yard.

I am open to any other, freebie ideas though. Thanks for the replies guys.

deleted

Last edited:
Back