• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Z28 Hood Vents

epd166

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a pair of Z28 fender vents to use as hood vents on the XJ. They are pot metal and have the support ring for the back side. I am undecided on where and which direction to put them on the hood, close together, farther apart, or make the vents parallel to the end of the hood. I plan on aiming the vents towards to the windshield to create a suction effect to pull the heat away from the engine while driving. Could I get some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism on where you think they should go. I already know they are pink, I plan on painting them semi-gloss black. Thank you in advance....I think :flipoff:

IMG_4042.jpg

IMG_4044.jpg

IMG_4040.jpg

last one

ive got LeBaron vents on my hood and at speed you dont get much air pulled out as far as ive been told or seen but ive also got the rear of my hood raise 3/4" which in traffic or low speed helps loads as do the vents at low speed you can see the heat pour out combine both with a switch controlled fan and i havent had cooling issues since....when you switch the fan it just pumps the heat out the vents and the back of the hood

and as far as mounting id say go with the last pic if i had to...maybe line the outter edge of the vents more paralell to the outter ridge on the hood sorta like the first pic if those arent already paralell that way it follows the lines better

Last edited:
Means I like them how they were meant to be on the Z28's, straight not angled. I meant I am used to seeing them straight on the hood.

God this site is full of e thug smartasses...

Means I like them how they were meant to be on the Z28's, straight not angled. I meant I am used to seeing them straight on the hood.

God this site is full of e thug smartasses...
Did not mean to be a smart ass but FYI they were on the fender of the Z28 when I took it off at the junk yard, not on the hood.

Last edited:
:gonnablow i say you should look for some LeBaron vents they are bigger and the lebaron hood is very similar to the cherokee hoods....they might be the same:eyes: come to think of it...il have to go check a picture now and that way we dont get any shit wars started about how they get/should be mounted

if your curious thats what lebaron vents look like on a jeep kinda hard to see but if ya look around im sure you ill find more pics
DSCN1610.jpg

and the LeBaron
1984LEBARON-4.jpg

Last edited:
My theory is move it as far front as you can cause I think you need to increase radiator airflow not reduce underhood temp

Pop the hood with the engine running try to see where the air starts blowing out usually after the fan shroud = thats the best place to place the vents.

IMGP1920.jpg

Resizeofgre.jpg

My theory is move it as far front as you can cause I think you need to increase radiator airflow not reduce underhood temp

Pop the hood with the engine running try to see where the air starts blowing out usually after the fan shroud = thats the best place to place the vents.

IMGP1920.jpg

Resizeofgre.jpg

x2
altho i like the look of the last pic the most

I think the vents up front would ultimately give your TPS a longer lifespan as well... I've heard of a lot of people's getting ruined from water getting in right above the throttle body.

Back