• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bent d 30- what to do

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
So my suspicions have been confirmed my d30 is bent very slightly at the lf axle tube to housing. top of the tire leans in just enought to be visibly noticeable.(thats what I get for buying a wrecker axle) what do you guys recommend? reinforce the outer c's, and run some sort of truss setup, and install adjustable ball joints? or scrap it? Its a 4;11 , it replaced my 3:55 setup-which I still have

So my suspicions have been confirmed my d30 is bent very slightly at the lf axle tube to housing. top of the tire leans in just enought to be visibly noticeable.(thats what I get for buying a wrecker axle) what do you guys recommend? reinforce the outer c's, and run some sort of truss setup, and install adjustable ball joints? or scrap it? Its a 4;11 , it replaced my 3:55 setup-which I still have

get another one that has 4.10s and be good put your old 3.55 D30 back in for now and don't use 4wd until you get another one, trussing a bent axle is a waste of time and money.

get another one that has 4.10s and be good put your old 3.55 D30 back in for now and don't use 4wd until you get another one, trussing a bent axle is a waste of time and money.
Its been like this for some time now, its not scrubbing tires or anything. I thought it was my caster, but an alignment buddy pointed it out. I have a 9 inch rear waiting to go in, maybe I'll hold my breath for a hp44 front- (IIRC mid 70s bronco?) I won't waste my time with this one.

Last edited:
D30 are a dime a dozen, like stated above, dont waste time or money trussing a bent one. That is just my $.02

What is a fair price for a d44, Found one out of a 74 bronco for $350- they are confirming gear ratio. (what was available for ratio?) will this axle work for me?

they have three or four

What is a fair price for a d44, Found one out of a 74 bronco for $350- they are confirming gear ratio. (what was available for ratio?) will this axle work for me?

they have three or four

those are mostly 3.50 gear ratio IIRC and will require new brackets for the xj, and I think they are LP.

My Dana 30 is also bent slightly - I think it is somewhere on the long tube, I know of a place close by that can straighten it, might just have it done. I had my camber checked on an alignment machine and it's out by about 1 degree per side which is very little, but it is visible to the eye. Busy building another front axle with custom tubes and a stronger centre section, but seeing that progress on that is slow I might use my stock one a little longer...

My Dana 30 is also bent slightly - I think it is somewhere on the long tube, I know of a place close by that can straighten it, might just have it done. I had my camber checked on an alignment machine and it's out by about 1 degree per side which is very little, but it is visible to the eye. Busy building another front axle with custom tubes and a stronger centre section, but seeing that progress on that is slow I might use my stock one a little longer...

D30s are way to easy to come by around here, it would be cheaper to just replace the axle than to have it straightened.

I agree with just replacing it. But I would go with a stronger axle like a D44. No point in building up an axle that is, for lack of a better term, sub par.

I agree with just replacing it. But I would go with a stronger axle like a D44. No point in building up an axle that is, for lack of a better term, sub par.
sounds like it was purchased tweaked not that it bent wheeling.

sounds like it was purchased tweaked not that it bent wheeling.
yeah, but i think his advice is still true.
if your even THINKING about upgrading your front axle, nows the time! even if you wanted another d30, it would cost you an extra 3-400$ just to regear it, and at that point you will be hitting yourself for NOT upgrading. you even have an emergency axle to throw in if something SHOULD get worse then it is now.

Thats like a "rule of thumb" in my local club:

If it gets broke or bent... UPGRADE!

Back