• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with a slow winch

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a used 9K mile marker. The seller told me that it still worked but really slow. I hooked it up, it works but is slow. I am now going down a check list of possible causes. So far I have cleaned up the electrical connections.

Solenoids, +/- cables appear to be in good condition.

Next on the list is to pull the motor off clean and inspect it. Any tips on how to go about this? Suggestions?

After that I plan to take apart the gear side inspect and regrease. What is an acceptable grease and where can it be found?

Any other ideas on how to speed this thing up? (other that replace it with a warn)

Thanks for the help.

The Milemarker and Harbor Freight Electric Winches are not known for their speed even when they are new.

The gear case comes apart without a problem. The factory grease is a molly type. Remember where the nylon washers go.
I recomend leaving the motor alone.

Last edited:
I know it isnt known for its speed, but it is really slow and slows even more with very little load. Being I was respooling it and I was placing tension on the cable with my hand to try and keep it straight as it reeled in.

I took the motor apart to clean it up, this is what I found.

Back