• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock susp. and jumps

Swamprat

NAXJA Forum User
ok, im looking to make my jeep into a nice DD/prerunner/trail rig. im curious to how well the stock suspension will hold on some small jumps, or driving fast on rough terrain? right now i only have 2" puck spacers up front, and every thing else is stock. i do plan on getting better shocks, and an actual lift.

Even if its lifted I wouldn't be jumping it. There are a lot of things to bend /break on a stocker as well. Guys put tons of money into suspension, frame stiffeners,gusseting, bumps,etc to be able to jump

you need travel, which the stock suspension doesnt have. spend some time looking over some of the jeepspeed rigs. www.jeepspeed.org in the forums section is a good place to start. for high speed you want downtravel more than uptravel, and something to absorb the shock of landing and bottoming out the suspension like air or hydraulic bumpstops. check out some race rigs and figure out where you want to go from there. you can build a nice DD that is still a demon offroad if you do it right.

dont get carried away and start jumping and beating the crap out of your stock suspension, you will really wear into the stress points on the unibody and cause nothing but problems down the road. just because your front end doesnt rip off after the jump doesnt mean it wont sometime later when you are just driving down the highway.

hope this helps get you pointed in the right direction, good luck.

:cheers:

For the record...when I went to the local NAXJA gathering when I first bought my XJ, by the end of the trip my leafs were inverted from driving fast over rough terrain (30-40mph range)...stock suspension will not last you that long.

~Scott

thanks, i really wasn't planing on any thing hard. i am planning on getting air/hydro bump stops, actual shocks, an a long arm setup, and strengthening the unibody.

you need more then bolt on's to jump it(intentionally)
just go look at your front end suspension mounts compared to a race truck thats built to take it.
how long do YOU think it will last?

Back