• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with axle u-joints

mbogosia

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing an axle u-joint on my 99. The part number they keep giving me is 297 and it seems too big. I just can't get both c clips on. Is there another part number they should be giving me. This was going to be an easy job and it has turned into a nightmare.

nope. that should be correct. you may have to pound the ears on the axle out a bit to get both clips in. but they will fit. remember, its suppose to be a tight fit.

Okay, I just beat the ears to death and got them spread out a bit. But, I accidently hit the round gear part and broke a piece of it. After looking at the other side it doesn't look like this gear does anything. Am I screwed or can I just put it back on?

Sometimes one of the needles gets loose and ends up in the bottom of the cap... Making the u joint about a 1/16" to wide. Might want to check that if you haven't all ready.

Okay, I just beat the ears to death and got them spread out a bit. But, I accidently hit the round gear part and broke a piece of it. After looking at the other side it doesn't look like this gear does anything. Am I screwed or can I just put it back on?

My guess is that you are talking about the ABS gear... Does the Jeep have ABS even? If its the original shafts then it probably does. No idea how it will effect it though.

Tom

The axle stub with the abs gear is only like $60 at the dealership, might be worth it if you like your ABS. I spun the hub nut when I replaced my ujoints and had to get a new one.

Eric

Thats good news. I ended up not being able to get one of the c-clips back on the u-joint. I had to have my car this morning so I just put it back together. I can't believe how tight the fit was.

I ended up picking up a whole new axle shaft assembly at a junkyard this morning for $50. I then had a spicer joint put in. So even though I went through 4 cheapo u-joints and broke a abs gear, I guess I learned.

Last edited:
Back