• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ rear wheel bearing replacement walk through?

I appreciate this thread I assume its just a matter of off pulling the diff cover off, pull out the spider gear cross pin and spider gears (hope the cross pin bolt and carrier aren't all chewed up!) pull the c clips off and slide the axles out.
Imagine a press is needed to get the bearing off the axle ? Or maybe a bearing splitter/puller ?

Anyway on my 88, what is that a D30 or D35 ? I hear a noise from the back right wheel area, like a slow swooshing, surely not axle speed or even brake drum speed almost like a weird sounding tire rub, but the tire isnt rubbing anything, I kinda suspect the axle bearing, is this a common issue on these ? Axle is full of lube and has been full for the last 10 years. I do not think its a brake issue either.

Anyway on my 88, what is that a D30 or D35 ?

It can be a D35 or D44, the '96 is either a D35 or 8.25.

Look at the cover, it will tell you what axle you have.
If the cover edge is raised like a bead you have the 8.25.
If there is ABS it is always a D35.
If the cover is hexagon looking you have a D44.
If none of the above, you have a D35.
The original question is about wheel bearings, the bearings on the axle shaft.
For D35, 8.25: Remove, tires, drums, drain oil, remove differential cover.
On the differential you will see a 12 point 8mm-5/16 bolt (I think). Remove it and then remove the large pin the 12 point bolt was holding. Push the axle shafts in towards the diff, remove the C clips holding shafts, pull the shafts out, remove seal and bearing, put a new seal and bearing, reverse the rest.

Back