• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with belt tension please!

Gooch1892

NAXJA Forum User
Today I broke the belt tension bolt on my 96xj the bottom 3/4 is still in place but the top have that goes through the ps pump bracket is what broke off. The idler pully seems to remain in place when the center bolt is tightened down and there are no squeels or squeaks eitheir. Do I need to be concerned about this or can it be driven for the next week or so at relatively low speeds just to and from work?

Thanks in advance!

I'd order a new bolt and the whatever you call it on the bolt that is threaded for the bolt all the way thru and to screw the idler into. Once you remove the idler wheel the rest of whats left should either fall out or pushed out. Replacement is easy.

I bet I know how it broke. Is the end of the adjusting bolt in the hole in the bracket? If it isn't, the bolt will bind up when tightening, and will eventually snap.

CMIIW, but that bolt is just an extra long normal bolt, the part it threads into, that tightens down the PS Pump is the special part, and that is fine. You may be able to get another bolt from the Hardware store this afternoon, no need to order it special.

Of course, most bolts at the hardware store that are that long are NOT threaded the full length, so you may have to order it from the dealer.

As well, get grade 8, grade 5 might do, if you still have the head of the bolt figure out the hardness of the bolt by its markings, never replace a bolt with a softer one, it will just break right away.

Also if you get one from a hardware store be sure to remove the threads from about 1/4" of the end, easy to do, just thread a nut on it about a 1/2" up and use a file to remove the threads, give it a good taper, it is supposed to sit in the hole at the bottom of that bracket and just turn. Once you have the threads removed just unbolt the nut which will clean the threads up. It has to go thru that guide hole in the bottom to keep everything straight. Junkyard or dealer is the best bet though.

Back