• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing and cargo capacity change with lift?

bigalpha

When you install a lift, how much does it change the towing capacity (I'm guessing none) and how much weight you can hold inside the Jeep?

When you install a lift, how much does it change the towing capacity (I'm guessing none) and how much weight you can hold inside the Jeep?

Towing capacity will be more effected by tire size/gear ratio. Weight carrying capacity and towing stability is more effected by the springs. I carry close to 300# of gear/tools/spare parts in the back of my trail rig and My RE 4.5 springs barely squat and rides/flexes nice. With that said, they wont last more than a couple years of wheelin before I'll need something better.

I use my DD for towing my bass boat, which weighs 3k, and its lifted 2.5" and 30's with stock gears and tows just fine. The tongue WT on the boat is around 250#.

I use to have a lifted Cherokee that had 32 on it normally but when I need to tow with it I had a set of 235's. It just pulled better with the smaller tires. I assume due to the better gear ratio.

Back