• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

minor issue with my 242

funvtec

NAXJA Forum User
88 xj with the 242 TC.

problem i'm having is when i pull it into part time or full time it only goes into part time ( according to the light) now when i put it back into 2wd it doesn't dinengage until i stop and turn the jeep off. I've tried to drop a it into 2nd gear in my aw4 and bring the vaccum up to no avail.

what should i look at? i did replace the CCV system with Napa parts this summer.

dude,at least your 242 doen't have a spontaneous 2 low! I gave up on the 242 after the third! 231 with teraflex 2 lo ,waiting for a rainy day

i would try to adjust the linkage. these 242s can sometimes be difficult to shift. moving makes it much easier to shift in and out of 4WD, tapping the throttle helps. and FYI, 242s didnt have vacuum disconnect front axles so changing vacuum related items wouldnt affect it.

i would try to adjust the linkage. these 242s can sometimes be difficult to shift. moving makes it much easier to shift in and out of 4WD, tapping the throttle helps. and FYI, 242s didnt have vacuum disconnect front axles so changing vacuum related items wouldnt affect it.

really i always thought they did LOL learn something new every day.

i guess i'll have to mess with the linkage then. the lever hardly moved when i bought it and i greased everything up and it moves perfect now so mabye something got out of wack over summer, it worked last year. i've never had the linkage apart before so mabye it slipped with all the fresh grease.

really i always thought they did LOL learn something new every day.

i guess i'll have to mess with the linkage then. the lever hardly moved when i bought it and i greased everything up and it moves perfect now so mabye something got out of wack over summer, it worked last year. i've never had the linkage apart before so mabye it slipped with all the fresh grease.

Keep us posted as I also have a 242 and so far no problems. But always looking for additional info.

You don't need to disassemble it, just loosen the large bolt on the adjuster rod, reposition the shifter handle and tighten it back up.

i'll give that a whirl, i got it to go into full time on the way home messing with it for about 20 minutes. i still cant get it out of 4wd until i park it. i'll see what kind of adjustments i can make. Thanks guys

Back