• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeaky Steering Wheel?

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed that my steering wheel squeaks when i turn it. It sounds like it is rubbing up against something, but i can't tell. Anything i can spray in that area? Buddy of mine said to take a Q tip and clean it out around that area, and then put some wd-40 on the q tip and swab it around....

Got this too. When it gets cold, it drives me nuts. Had the column partially apart awhile back when I was doing some other dash work. Couldn't figure out the source. Who else has had this? Figure out the fix?

Got this too. When it gets cold, it drives me nuts. Had the column partially apart awhile back when I was doing some other dash work. Couldn't figure out the source. Who else has had this? Figure out the fix?
Mine did the same thing just before the clock spring went bad.

Mine does this too. Also only in the cold. It sounds like rubber or something squeaking. There is a rubber surround on the trim piece, maybe that has something to do with it.

Mine has this problem all the time.....not just when it's cold, but it's even worse when it's cold, and it's driving me nuts!

I've sprayed some of the joints on the steering column with white lithium grease before (mainly the one that's at the bottom of the column right by the firewall)...and it shuts up for about a day or two then comes right back.

The link says the same thing that was the cause for the squeak I had in the steering of another vehicle.

There is a rubber seal on the steering shaft, to seal out the weather, get some lube between the seal and shaft and it should quiet it down.

The link says the same thing that was the cause for the squeak I had in the steering of another vehicle.

There is a rubber seal on the steering shaft, to seal out the weather, get some lube between the seal and shaft and it should quiet it down.

When it gets cold that seal gets hard and causes it to squeak I think. I sprayed some lube on mine and havent had a problem in about a year now. Of course, its not cold here yet.

Interesting. My noises (think strangled goose) seem to come from just behind the wheel. The bushings at the firewall seem to rotate smoothly, but it's warm now. I'll poke around a bit more though. Appreciate the feedback- been addressing all the little nickel -and-dime squeaks, rattles, and whatnot lately- would love to kill that noise.

I recently bought my 95, and i had a squeak that sounded like it was behind the steering wheel. further investigation led me under the hood, i found that the steering shaft was rubbing on the brake line to the master. not sure why this was. alittle WD40 and a bit of a hand bent on the line and its gone! Just an F.Y.I

x2 strangled goose. it's like a honking squeek. Mine does it (97) so does my dad's (also 97) we can't figure it out. It seems to only do it on tight turns not so much on wide turns. but especially when I pull out of the driveway in the morning.

I've found that listening to the radio solves all the unpleasant noises my XJ makes....

smartass:moon:

Even though I installed stereo's for years at Best Buy and have quite the system in mine, it's still annoying.

However the last few days have been warm and it's gone. I guess it's only in cold weather. Do you all think it's some kind of firewall seal on the steering column?

When it gets cold that seal gets hard and causes it to squeak I think. I sprayed some lube on mine and havent had a problem in about a year now. Of course, its not cold here yet.

smartass:moon:

Even though I installed stereo's for years at Best Buy and have quite the system in mine, it's still annoying.

However the last few days have been warm and it's gone. I guess it's only in cold weather. Do you all think it's some kind of firewall seal on the steering column?

yes, it appears that you need to lube between the shaft and the seal in the firewall.

Back