• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What gears do I need to bring me down to the "stock" feel???

helliphinon8

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '98 XJ with a 5.5in lift and 33 12.50's. With stock gearing. I want to compensate for the tires to get close to the stock acceleration and highway rpm's without going too low. What gear ratio am I lookin for?

First of all welcome to NAXJA.

Try using the search function provided on the website header. This topic has been covered many times.

Just a quick guess:

AX-15 then 4.10s
AW4 then 4.56s

First of all welcome to NAXJA.

Try using the search function provided on the website header. This topic has been covered many times.

Just a quick guess:

AX-15 then 4.10s
AW4 then 4.56s

I would go 4.56 or 4.88 leaning towards the 4.88s.

For 33s, 4.88s are pretty deep for a "stock feel". To each there own i guess...

Absolute minimum of 4.56's!

you dont need a website to calculate gears, any moron can do it. id run 4.56, 4.10 would be closest to stock most people say but they say go with 4.56.

welcome to naxja!
i remember seeing a useful equation for regearing to "stock" feel. i don't remember which mag i got it out of but its pretty useful.

new tire diameter
----------------- X current gear ratio= new ratio
stock tire diameter

hope this gets you in the ball park.....

any moron can do it
Yep,youve been posting some of the dumbest post Ive seenSit back and "cruise" for about 6 months to a yeaR

4.10s/4.56s would be ideal
4.10s look best on paper, but for day to day 4.56s would be better
4.88s are too deep for 33s on AX15 for mainly street driving

4.56's are sweet, my friend has a stroked 4.2 and AX15. He used to have 32's. It was very nice with the 32's. A little difference is noticed with the 34's now, but not a big difference.

If you are going to go through the hassle of regearing you mind as well just go straight to 4.56's and don't look back!

I have 4.88s and 33s and I only did it because I know I'll go bigger. It is way deeper than stock, and not really ideal for the highway (I'm turning about 3000 rpm at 75). Go for 4.56s if you don't plan on going bigger. If you eventually want 35s, and can go 4.88s, then go for it!

I have 4:56's with 33x10.5's and it feels a little lower than stock, but the little bit of extra gear helps with a heavier tire. I've done a ton of highway driving with it and my fuel mileage is right around 16mpg running at about 65mph. Towing a 8x10 enclosed trailer loaded down with about 1000lbs, it gets about 12 mpg at 65mph.

Its still has a lot of punch that it did when it was stock.

r
4.88s are too deep for 33s on AX15 for mainly street driving

BS I use it every day on the freeway as long as I don't go over 65 for long periods of time I get ~16-18MPG

BS I use it every day on the freeway as long as I don't go over 65 for long periods of time I get ~16-18MPG
You dont go over 65 for long periods of time? Man, thats not what i would want for a DD, I dont know how it is up in Wa but down here 65 is the slow lane. I drive about 1000 miles a month and am always going 75-80mph. I wouldnt want something that would limit that. Like he said this is for a DD, last i remember when my Jeep was stock it could easily stay above 70 and get decent mileage. 4.88s are way too deep for 33s. Now 35s would be a different story...

You dont go over 65 for long periods of time? Man, thats not what i would want for a DD, I dont know how it is up in Wa but down here 65 is the slow lane. I drive about 1000 miles a month and am always going 75-80mph. I wouldnt want something that would limit that. Like he said this is for a DD, last i remember when my Jeep was stock it could easily stay above 70 and get decent mileage. 4.88s are way too deep for 33s. Now 35s would be a different story...

Keeps me safe and I don't get speeding tickets. I have no need to drive 80.

Back