• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The correct brake lines?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
I went to NAPA and picked up the brakelines I'd read on a thread in here work for extended lines. They were the GMC 1500 front lines (look like they'll work) and the Durango 4x4 rear line (not so sure...).

I copied the codes directly from the thread and made sure they were for the vehicles they were supposed to be for. However, I want to make sure these will infact fit. So for those who have purchased these lines before...do these look familiar?

2925553952_e884b6a782.jpg

2925553942_7965445f16.jpg

~Scott

P.S. Is the durango line supposed to have a double sided head/fitting on it?

looks fairly close, the lower fitting on the front lines look a little thick, but probably just the angle.

there are two versions of rear lines, one includes that splitter block, the other is designed to a splitter block already installed.

Well the front does seem thick...but I figure since its an exact part number from here with multiple people saying that's what they used...it should work. And as for the rear, I take it the splitter block just comes off?

I know how to install and bleed brakes...but I dont want to go trying to make some work only to find out they dont work.

~Scott

Not only WONT the spliiter come off,but its needed!You may also need to massage the hard lines,the Dakota block sits a little askew!

I used the dakota line when I swapped my 9" in. Worked like a charm. You definately have to "massage" the hard lines a little, no big deal.

spray the oem rear splitter block with a healthy dose of PB Blaster and let it sit for a bit. Unbolt the two hard lines from the oem splitter and then screw them into the new Durango line.

one thing to note, you may (probably?) need new brass washers to use with the front brake line. one between the line and the caliper, one between the line and the head of the banjo bolt. they are designed to crush/bend to seal any gaps/imperfections between the line, bolt, and caliper so they're supposed to be replaced every time.

So for the hardlines, I'll have to bend them a bit? I took a look at the front and thats the impression I'm getting.

How exactly should I go about that without damaging anything?

~Scott

just be careful, don't force anything to avoid crimping. For the fronts, those copper washers may have come with the lines, if not buy them. They're a small investment for doing it right. The rear hard lines should be the only ones you really have to worry about bending, it's only to bring the hard lines closer to the splitter, you don't have to worry about re-routing them or anything.

Well I got on front on...however both my rear and my drivers front hardline bolts are WAY tight.

I sprayed some PB blaster on them though, hopefully they'll break loose by tomorrow.

~Scott

good luck with the front hard line bolts. I had to use a torch to heat them up and tap a hammer on TIGHT vice grips to turn them. all wrenches would do was strip them. Didn't have a problem with the rear, but that was only on a 6 year old Jeep.

Yeah, my Jeep is an '89...
Luckily its a Washington Jeep, so not much rust...but some bolts are still a biatch.

~Scott

P.S. The rear line is huge for my 3" lift...should I angle the bracket up a little to allow the hose to not bend at such an extreme angle, or just let the hose make an "S"?

alot of people use those front lines and cut off the bracket.

the 99-01 chevy c30 2wd lines are exactly the same length (25") without that bracket, and without that metal line coming off the caliper.

here are the NAPA part numbers.

Remember one thing,for almost the cost of OEM lines,you can get SS BSL for almost the same cost but no-where near the performance!

I actually ended up just opening up the bracket for the brake lines (the new ones) and sliding it up the hose, then drilling a new hole in the frame and mounting the bracket.

~Scott

oh and the NAPA numbers i posted are like $15 each :D

i keep a set in stock now, i set up a NAXJA discount at my store with the owner :D they work great for a 6" inch lift

There's no problem with your rear line doing an "S" but if you were worried about it you could set up a bungee to keep the line up and out of the way but able to stretch down when flexing.

Interesting... I was looking at extending my front brake lines, already did the rear. For $15 that sounds like a great deal. Which NAPA number is used for the front lines?

I used the same lines on my 89'. But used the dakota one for the rear. And i got mine from O'Reillys, they were in stock and the employee discount helps too..

I actually ended up just opening up the bracket for the brake lines (the new ones) and sliding it up the hose, then drilling a new hole in the frame and mounting the bracket.
~Scott
X2 east and effective

I used the same lines on my 89'. But used the dakota one for the rear. And i got mine from O'Reillys, they were in stock and the employee discount helps too..

X2 east and effective

I used the Dakota for my rear as well.

As far as the codes go I can't remember off hand, and my Jeeps awfully far away (down stairs and outside)...but I'll try and get them tonight.

Damn hard lines are still stuck though...can't break the bolts loose.

~Scott

Back