• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight issues in my 96, did my searching

lesabre400

NAXJA Forum User
I've read up on the subject and here's my story for the benefit of others:

96 Country, all options except towing package and offroad package (rats).
My lowbeams are going on and off, triggered by the cheater breaker, which means a bad ground (right?). I'm going to check the harness under the airbox, the headlight switch, and check for bad grounds at the lights, battery and body. All other lights opperate normally, including the delay feature.
Now for my specific wrinkle - when I bought the truck, the lowbeams were stuck on whether the truck was running or not, switch turned on or not. Kept draining the battery until the dealer figured out he should at least be disconnecting the battery. After I bought it, I pulled the DRL module so that the headlights were off unless I turned them on at the switch so I could drive it but I'm wondering if that's the cause for my lowbeam issue. Thoughts? This is my second XJ but I've only had it for a few days.

I'll update this with the problem and solution once I find them.

Well in my case, it was the headlight switch. There's no rust on my XJ, so the harness under the airbox was clean and in good shape.
Next I'll try re-installing the DRL module - maybe it's been fine all along.

Back