• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

build up D44/D30, or buy JK Rubi D44 pair?

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I'm planning the lift phase for my beater, and one thing I will have to do sooner or later is get the axles replaced. I have a line on a XJ D44 stock that I could build up to replace my existing D35. However I've been really tempted to just buy a pair of the JK Rubicon D44 axles and replace the front and rear simultaneously.

Benefits of the JK Rubicon axles is that they come with 4.10 gears and lockers and disc brakes for a bit less $3000 total, and they also have a wider stance which will be good for after I lift. Downside to the JK Rubicon axles is that the new bolt pattern means new rims, and I pretty much have to do both of them at the same time. Benefits of the XJ D30/D44 pair is that the D44 is a bit stronger, and a wider selection of gears and lockers are more widely available (no aftermarket lockers for the JK Rubi carriers since nobody competes with 'free'), and I can build them individually as time permits (add lockers to one, etc). Downside is that it would cost almost as much to build the XJ D44 into a competitive axle as it would to buy the new JK Rubi axle, the XJ D30 is a bit weaker than the JK Rubi D44, and they would still be 'used' axles.

If you had $3k, which way would you go

You´ll have to spend some additional money on the bracket kits for the JK axles.

I think they are absolutely worth their money. I´m in the process of piling up parts for my swap.

The main advantages are:
- Stronger than a D30
- they are NEW!!!
- 4.10, bigger brakes, discs also in the rear, 100% locker

We should see some serious after market parts to make them even stronger, the Superior JK-R kit sound very tempting (35spline chromoly shafts in the rear, 35spline ARB, 32spline chromoly shafts in the front, stock 32spline rear locker swapped to the front) - I think there will be more interesting products in the near future.

I´d buy the JK axles, truss them, buy a set of Crane Diffcovers, some axle seals from Alloy USA, the bracket kit from Rubicon Express, some SS brake lines and call it a day.

I went through this same debate with myself over and over and over.

First off, what size tires do you plan on running? If 35s are your limit, then there's really no advantage to the JK44s except 100% reliability which, don't get me wrong, is pretty sweet.

You can definitely run 35s on a D30/D44 combo, you just have to spend some money beefing them up. I could try and find a pricing spreadsheet I had to give you an idea of what I spent on my build. I have rear disc and WJ knuckles up front as well, which gives me phenomonal braking on the 33s I have now. I am extremely confident I could lockup 35s right now.

The biggest selling factor for me to stay with the 30/44 was I wanted deeper gears than 4:10s (would have costed way more money after buying the JK44s), and I already had a set of rims and 33s for the XJ bolt pattern (5x4.5 vs. 5x5).

I don't know how much help I'm being, but just ask yourself if you really need them. If you plan to go bigger than 35s, then jump on them.

P.S. I believe the JK60 rear is out now, correct?

The biggest selling factor for me to stay with the 30/44 was I wanted deeper gears than 4:10s (would have costed way more money after buying the JK44s), and I already had a set of rims and 33s for the XJ bolt pattern (5x4.5 vs. 5x5).
I'll need to get wider aluminum wheels either way so that isn't really an issue, although I will have to do it sooner with the JK Rubi axles, so more upfront cost but long-term cost is a wash.

Having to change lockers is a factor. I only expect to run 31 at first, then 33 later, then a max of 35 sometime after, so 4.10 will work for me for a year probably. There are gears coming out now, and they are in the $250 price range (don't have to change carrier so that helps a lot). So basically $500 in a year or two is the negative.

Steering setup is another possible factor. Is the JK Rubi front high-steer out of the box?

P.S. I believe the JK60 rear is out now, correct?

108051-lg.jpg

Yes they are.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52446_103_T.htm

Back