• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

29 spline axles

desertrandy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1992 jeep cherokee with the 27 spline 8.25" chrysler rear axle. I want to install the 29 spline axles with a detroit locker but when I researched the axles I found that the 29 splines are 26.25" long as opposed to 29.75" for the 27 spline. My question is will the 29 spline still fit my rear end and is the difference in length because the carrier is larger making the axle shafts shorter. I can get the detroit locker for free from a friend because his wife hates how it handles and he is going to put a trutrac limited slip in his jeep.
Thanks.

are you sure that you are measuring the left to left and right to right axles in comparison? They are not equal in the Chryco 8.5".

Starscream918 said:
If you install the Detroit for a 29spl you shouldn't have any trouble fitting the shafts.

The axle shafts ARE equal length (L&R) in the 8.25.

But 3.5" difference between the 27 and 29 spline. Don't think so. Must be a typo somewhere.

Back