• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 xj auto trans problem

RANSOM

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the deal. I recently swapped out my engine with anitfreeze wiped bearings due to that lovely 2000 head cracking issue. But when I got everything back together the trans was acting up. It was perfect before the swap. I checked the fluid and its good and up to correct level.

Here's whats happening:
-When the engine iss cold its takes 15-20 seconds to go into drive. I've tried running it back and forth through the gears, but it still takes the same amount of time.

- The trans shifts tight and quick and acts completely normal after it is in drive.

-It does not do it when its hot. But once it cools completely... it does the same thing again... a 15 -20 second delay before going into gear. If I rev it up a little it seems to go into gear a little faster.

Whats the deal? Fluid/pressure problem???

Did you re-attach and adjust the the throttlebody->tranny cable? No pinched lines from the tranny to the radiator or tranny cooler?

yup. adjusted the cable. And I check the lines and they're fine... That was my initial thought. I looked in the Chrysler service manual and the tranny screen looks awful close to the bottom surface of the pan. I did have the trans supported under the pan. I wonder if the pan could have flexed enough to pinch the screen a little. Hmm...

I think you'd have to dent the pan in quite a bit. It does sound like restricted flow somewhere, that gets better as the fluid warms up and thins out.

Back