• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Emissions Recall E22

Jim Mesthene

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a recall notice for my '96.
It's for reprogramming the PCM and inspecting the catalytic converter.
Anybody have this done yet? They say they inspect the converter and replace, if necessary, at no charge. Any suggestions on how to make it "necessary?

If the cat converter is rattling, then they will replace it. Just make sure there isn't any physical damage to the cat and they should replace it no questions asked if it rattles.

I worked in dealer service departments (not Jeep) for decades and performed hundreds of recalls....It's real.

I'm interested in creating a rattle, any ideas?

This is a legit recall.

Copied from the first page of the recall.

August 2006 Dealer Service Instructions for:
Emissions Recall E22 Reprogram PCM and Inspect Catalytic Converter

1996 (XJ) Jeep® Cherokee
1996 (ZJ) Jeep® Grand Cherokee
NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 4.0L (ERH) engine.

1997 - 1998 (AN) Dodge Dakota
1997 - 1998 (XJ) Jeep® Cherokee
1997 – 1998 (TJ) Jeep® Wrangler (built after June 30, 1996)
NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 2.5L (EPE) engine.

IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer used vehicle inventory. Dealers should complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.

Subject
The Powertain Control Module (PCM) on about 467,400 of the above vehicles may not be capable of detecting a deteriorating catalytic converter. Also, under certain conditions, some catalytic converters may be subject to mechanical degradation that causes a rattle.

© Copyright 2006, DaimlerChrysler Corporation, All Rights Reserved

--Matt

Jim Mesthene said:
I just got a recall notice for my '96.
It's for reprogramming the PCM and inspecting the catalytic converter.
Anybody have this done yet? They say they inspect the converter and replace, if necessary, at no charge. Any suggestions on how to make it "necessary?

Jim Mesthene said:
I worked in dealer service departments (not Jeep) for decades and performed hundreds of recalls....It's real.

Are you asking the first question because you think Jeeps are vastly different than other vehicles?

ECKSJAY said:
Are you asking the first question because you think Jeeps are vastly different than other vehicles?
No, I've done hundreds of recalls and know that it's up to the guy under the car to decide if it needs a new cat or not. Other than a 6-pack, can you suggest a way to make my converter "need" replacing.

Jim Mesthene said:

I'm interested in creating a rattle, any ideas?

Get it hot and the stick a water hose up the tail pipe to fracture the catalyst.

Jim Mesthene said:
No, I've done hundreds of recalls and know that it's up to the guy under the car to decide if it needs a new cat or not. Other than a 6-pack, can you suggest a way to make my converter "need" replacing.

Is yours bad or are you just being 'that guy'?

Don't be surprised though if it's not covered just because it's bad.
Most of the time a replacement is only for certin VIN numbers or DOM not just cause it's bad.

Figures, as usual shafted on the 98XJ but maybe a score on the 97TJ....

ECKSJAY said:
Is yours bad or are you just being 'that guy'?
I used to be "that guy" under the car deciding what to replace. There were always certain things that warranted automatic replacement. I had hoped that someone authorized to perform these recall inspections could tell me how to qualify for the maximum coverage. I have decades of dealership experience including Shop Foreman, so I know what discretion "that guy" has.
Or did you mean something else?

I just got that recall last week. Too bad the converter (and the entire exhaust) were the first things replaced on my 96. Of course, I don't have the receipt for the cat.:hang:

I did that service a few weeks ago. Real straight forward. They just reprogramed the PCM. Nothing wrong with my cat. Took it in first thing in the morning, went and got some breakfast at a nearby IHOP, they were done by the time i got back.

Jim Mesthene said:
I used to be "that guy" under the car deciding what to replace. There were always certain things that warranted automatic replacement. I had hoped that someone authorized to perform these recall inspections could tell me how to qualify for the maximum coverage. I have decades of dealership experience including Shop Foreman, so I know what discretion "that guy" has.
Or did you mean something else?

I got a 96, and I work at a Jeep dealership as a tech. So I might be getting a new cat converter too, although I can't do warranty work on my own vehicle. Too bad I already replaced the original cat for a rattle.:gonnablow

As for the recall itself, after the PCM is updated they will issue a 12 month, 12K mile warranty on the cat that is already in the vehicle. If the check engine light comes on for a P0420 catalyst efficiency code within the 12mo/12k period, they will replace the cat. If the cat is rattling, then they will replace it no questions asked when you bring it in for the initial inspection.

Faking it is hard, mostly because I hate doing warranty work, as do most dealer techs. So that means if we see anything to make the cat failure not warranty, like an impact mark from a rock, it is in our best interest to point that out. ;)

That's exactly the information I was looking for, thank you. Sometimes there's no work and warranty is welcome, most times, it's a losing proposition.

I used to keep the car in my wife's name so I could do my own warranty work; that was a great deal as you can imagine.

Bryan C. said:
I got a 96, and I work at a Jeep dealership as a tech. So I might be getting a new cat converter too, although I can't do warranty work on my own vehicle. Too bad I already replaced the original cat for a rattle.:gonnablow

It's about time they got around to this issue. I also repalced my cat at my own expense after a bad rattle...back in 2001.

Last edited:
Tape a little note with a $20 bill attatched to it showing you're interest in a new cat.

btw, I made a thread on this last month. :)

mdl said:
Tape a little note with a $20 bill attatched to it showing you're interest in a new cat.

btw, I made a thread on this last month. :)
Thanks, although I had searched, I hadn't seen your post.
I was always inclined to help my customer at the expense of the factory, as long as it didn't cost me money. $20 was a little too blatant for me, but I found a 6-pack communicated goodwill.
People who assumed I was crooked and was participating in a "stealership" arrangement ended up disappointed. Dealership mechanics make a lot of money and have some pride; don't expect to buy one as cheap as a congressman, for example.

I received this recall too, but I had a question for you guys who were/are mechanics at a dealership... The recall says that they'll cover parts & labor if you need the new cat, but they won't cover "other" parts of the exhuast system that may need to be replaced in conjunction with replacing the cat.

So my question is: if they decide that I need the new cat, will I get roped into buying new pipes, clamps....possibly an 02 sensor or two if they "determine" that that stuff needs to be replaced with the cat?

It's a 96 btw, and the cat definitely "rattles"... may just be the heat shield though.

Back