• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Cracked!

piercejeeps

NAXJA Forum User
In August of 2008 we found ourselves with a cracked transfer case. As we searched for replacements, we found a number of cases that were suitable for stock replacement - but most did not have heavy duty internals OR a SYE OR required a hefty core charge. Also some shipping rates were $$$.

At the high end, Advance Adapters provides the excellent Atlas Transfer Cases. We dreamed about them for a few minutes and then came back to the realization that they are way out of our price range. We also found JB Conversions. They list a NP231HD w/ sye. They were closer to our price range - but not quite what we could afford.

Then we found the Mountain Garage NP231HD listed on Ebay and we were curious about the HD upgrades and SYE. We found that Mountain Garage has been remanufacturing transfer cases for the last four years.

In remanufacturing the NP231 they use HD internals such as a wider chain, heavy duty planetary gear assembly and wider tooth main sprocket. They also provide high-end seals with double springs and lips. They offer their NP231HD with or without a SYE.

A concern of ours - How would the Mountain Garage NP231HD with SYE match up with our rear rubicon express HD driveshaft? After comparing notes with the folks at Mountain Garage - we found dimensions were a good match.

Of note - Mountain Garage price does not require a core charge. This was of great value to us - since our old case was cracked. And shipping was included in the price (at our time of purchase in Sept. 2008)

Installation went great. We had a little bit of shifter alignment to do once we got it home - so far we couldn't be happier.

We have lived with the TC now for 2 weeks - so far we have been very happy. We will report back after we get it out wheeling. At this point we would recommend the Mountain Garage NP213HD w/SYE to other Jeep Cherokee owners looking for a replacement or a upgrade to HD internals.

As always - thanks to everyone on this :NAXJA: forum for providing great info over the years.

Disclaimer - we have no financial interest or any connection to Mountain Garage.
Internal pics provided by Mountain Garage / External pics provided by us.

new_tc_MGNP231HD_picA.jpg

new_tc_MGNP231HD_picb.jpg

new_tc_MGNP231HD_picc.jpg

new_tc_MGNP231HD_picd.jpg

new_tc_MGNP231HD_pice.jpg

new_tc_MGNP231HD_picg.jpg

new_tc_MGNP231HD_pic1.jpg

new_tc_MGNP231HD_pic2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No spam. Just posting a problem we had and how we solved it. Mountain Garage provided a good product in a timely manner. I think that info is valuable to others on this forum. I have certainly found items in this forum that have been similar and found them useful.

It does sorta smell spammy, but mountain garage contacted us about becoming a sponsor a few weeks ago, even wanted to donate to moab.

Granted, I'm leaving for moab in a few hours and they still havent responded to my replies to their original emails.. :/

If you noticed, they did the same thing for the other vendors they purchased from. Tom Woods, AJ's Off Road Armor, Etc.

MountainGarage is a small business. Take me for what I am. Just trying to help fellow Jeepers out. Not trying to get over on anyone.

Cal- I do plan on being a Vendor for NAXJA. I have to get caught up on my current work to get ahead enough to donate. Times are tough right now.

Thanks very much PierceJeeps for the FACTS that you shared with NAXJA.

I recommend engaging a different vendor for assistance with any NP231 transfer case. Mountain Garage has no customer service and I recently completed a complaint form with the BBB and local credit agencies, for failure to deliver a product after payment. Stay far away from this company!

it sounds like you guys are worried that piercejeeps is just trying to make MOUNTAINGARAGE look good... if that is the case then it is easy to figure out... the mods just need to look at the logs and see if they both have the same address...

if they do then a banning is in order...

if not then the people that suggested it owe these guys an apology

more on topic...

you really should gut the case, and transfer everything to another case... they are a dime a dozen... I have a good empty case I would send you for $20-25 shipped

or you can gut the case and clean it up really well then you could have a shop weld up the crack... but most shops will tell you that welding old aluminum can be a 50/50 shot... either that or I went to the wrong metal shop

or you could just use JB weld like the other guy said... just grind a groove in the the crank and grind up the area an inch or so out from the grove.... then slather that stuff on there and let it sit for a few days... but honestly that stuff is ghetto and may have problems adhering to 10-15 year old aluminum that has spent it's entire lift soaked in transmission fluid... I sure would not use JB weld

Last edited:
Who's we--me,myself,and Irene???????

Last edited:
MountainGarage.com and PierceJeeps.com are registered with different owners, but they can still be associated. Also, I contacted eBay and they are watching their system, since MountainGarage has items for auction on their site.

It comes down to buyer beware and I should have been more cautious, before making this purchase MountainGarage was providing the 231HD for $799 (add another $100 for shipping) and that was approx. $400 less then other vendors. When a buyer calls a vendor 6 times and sends numerous emails with no response, that is not good!

Hope this information helps out and saves another potential buyer from a fraud. I will update this thread with information from the BBB and local credit agencies.

or you could just use JB weld like the other guy said... just grind a groove in the the crank and grind up the area an inch or so out from the grove.... then slather that stuff on there and let it sit for a few days... but honestly that stuff is ghetto and may have problems adhering to 10-15 year old aluminum that has spent it's entire lift soaked in transmission fluid... I sure would not use JB weld

meant to write CRACK

Back