• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Deep cycle battery and a winch...

chrisja77

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, here is what I've got. I'm getting ready to hit the trails this weekend, and am expecting to use my winch alot. For me and my buddies. I have a stock battery in the jeep now that works fine for the occasional use, but I have a big azz deep cycle battery sitting in my garage. Would it be better to use the MUCH larger bettery since I'm expecting to use the winch more than once or twice? Would it hurt the jeep or the winch to run the deep cycle battery? Any other advise? Thanks guys!

I think you would be better off with the deep cycle anyways, especially if your planning on winching alot.

What kind of deep cycle battery do you have? Not all deep cycle batteries are the same. Is it a gell, liquid acid, or absorbed glass mat (AGM) type?

I think what Pacific ED is getting to is some batteries (Optima) arn't deep cycles in the traditional definition.

I tried to run an Interstate Deep cycle in a Ford F-250 with a gas engine. Starting with a full charge the Interstate deep cycle wouldn't charge off of the alternator enough to run the vehicle for a week, I'll admit partly due to short in-town driving. It's my understanding, Traditional Deep Cycles need to be trickle charged for an extended period of time.

In my experience (as stated above) a traditional deep cycle wont work in your application.

I can't remember what kind it is, I used it for my trolling moter for a few fishing trips and then got rid of the boat. It is a large yellow deep cycle battery. I'll see about looking at it when I get home and post back up what it is. Thanks for the info...

I think what Pacific ED is getting to is some batteries (Optima) arn't deep cycles in the traditional definition.

I tried to run an Interstate Deep cycle in a Ford F-250 with a gas engine. Starting with a full charge the Interstate deep cycle wouldn't charge off of the alternator enough to run the vehicle for a week, I'll admit partly due to short in-town driving. It's my understanding, Traditional Deep Cycles need to be trickle charged for an extended period of time.

In my experience (as stated above) a traditional deep cycle wont work in your application.

Bingo.

The AGM's work well in automotive applications as they recharge much faster. It seems like regular trolling motor deep cycle batteries tend to get cooked by the alternator due to high amp output.

I run a Deka Intimidator. It works as a starting battery and also has deep cycle properties. I did a day of wheeling and winching in a Scout II and it worked great. They battery is now in my Jeep.

Back