• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ECU questions

XJFever

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having no start issues and i'm trying to narrow things down. the one is my 1990 jeep cherokee laredo is 8953005407. When i look up that part it comes up for a 89 cherokee. Now what would happen if i hooked up a different computer, for instance, from a manual transmission '89? different part number.

the 89 and 90 parts are identical.

where are you looking the parts up on? it may be because the jeep was built in 89.

and i believe the ecu does not control the transmission so the ecus should be the same.

but did you check to see if the crank position sensor is working?

I'd try to eliminate everything else first; yea it could be the ECU but in my experience, ECU's are very reliable and many are purchased unneccesarily. Have you verified no spark and or no fuel? Good Luck!

The ECU often controls the Torque Converter Lock-Up, like 90xj06 mentioned it might NOT on your Jeep. If the Trans has its own electronic control unit, it would probably control the TC Lock-Up, but its possible the Engine ECU still does it.

If you swap an ECU for a Manual Trans Vehicle to Automatic Trans equipped Vehicle, you could loose that TC Lock-Up. This would drive up the temperature of the trans drastically and likely damage the trans after a while. Note engine rpms at different speeds at cruise before the swap, and then check them after the ECU swap. If engine rpm is higher at the same speeds during cruise, then likely the TC is NOT locking-up, as well, a non-locking TC often makes the trans feel sluggish in many situations, especially part throttle.

Other than the TC Lock-Up, which may or may NOT be controlled by the ECU, if the vehicles that the ECU's are designed for are identical other than the trans, than the only other difference is usually some fine tuning of the fuel/spark to make the engine run smoother/perform with the trans, OR make less pollution because of the load differences with the trans. Most of the posts I've seen of people doing this kind of swap, in Jeeps and other Vehicles, don't notice any difference, unless the TC is NOT locking-up, then its like I described above.

Replace the computer last. I have sold a few but, they always come back as not the proublem. I always try to talk people out of buying a computer.

Back